A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

One-way Dynamics
Posted: 09 October 2018 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-12-02

Hello!

So I’d like to have a group of clones go through a membrane one way but then bounce off of the membrane once outside of it. As context, the final animation will be a bunch of neurotransmitters living one neuron, deposited into the synapse, but once there not be allowed back in the same neuron should it come into contact with it.

Any thoughts on how to make an object permeable going one way and a rigid body going the other way?

Thanks!

Posted: 09 October 2018 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi DASH_Studio,

I can’t really think of anything that would allow in Dynamics/MoGraph to have a dynamic effect without collision for objects moving in one direction, while many clones are at the same time in the scene.
However, if the set up would use Thinking Particles to start with, MoGraph is fine to adapt to the particles movement. In Thinking Particles one can set up a deflector being front, back or both.

Have a look to the scene below.

What makes them move out of the synapse? Just trying to get an idea about the set up.

All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r20_drs_MGtp_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 34KB - Downloads: 66)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 09 October 2018 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-12-02

Interesting! I was actually just reading about using TP and having them change attributes after passing through a plane so that they behave differently on one side vs the other. That was me not realizing that the pDeflector actually allows you to choose front, back, or both.

To answer your question, the neurotransmitters are in little pockets called vesicles. They dock to the inside wall of one neuron and when an electrical impulse hits them, they dump their contents into the synapse. My goal is to prevent them from moving back into the neuron from which they came as they float about. It might be that I can just simplify and push them away with wind or something, as well, so I could be overcomplicating things…

Anyway, I’ve attached a screenshot of the scene WIP and tomorrow morning I may mess around with the method you describe.

Thanks!

Posted: 09 October 2018 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi DASH_Studio,

Thanks for the information, this gives me more to think about. Very nice of you.

Could you think of a little collider object that pushes them out of their pockets and then those little colliders stays there, blocking the re-entrance. In that way they get the initial push and the block in one step.
Just a thought. I have rotated the whole scene with a group Null, just to see if the collision triggers the dynamic. Try your angle that you need.

Scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/neV8jhmMcPUjM5NVb4wjOhZYPou2AGgZwTwjRlEOPug

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]