A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Modelling question
Posted: 08 October 2018 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2018-05-13

Hello Sassi, I hope you are doing well.

I need some help how to model the inner arms that are extruding from the outer spheres to connect to each inner sphere of this tetrahedron shape (image attached). Placing a tetrahedron in an Atom Array gives the initial model, but I’m unsure how to model/extrude the connecting cylinder arms as mentioned.

Thanks,
David

Posted: 09 October 2018 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, FiveD, I hope you are doing fine as well.

Here is the file and screen capture, as well as a screen shot
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Dzeg7FAeUEyw7Ba7kobA1OmC1yEYVzCpKaQBX7ZXbiq

Additionally, I have used a Plain Effector>Deformer> Point mode with an inverse Spherical falloff, to get to the shape I see in the image.

Note that the polygon model is now in a state that “we” normally try to avoid, but as a base for the Atom Array, or a Cloner, this will work.

Enjoy

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 09 October 2018 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2018-05-13

Thank you again Sassi, the video really helps to show the workflow. Some follow up question based on my observations:

1. When you did the Normal Scale, did you scale it so that the edges were perfectly aligned (around the 28 second mark in the video). Or is that what the Optimize function did, it “snapped” any edges together, if there was a small pixel gap difference.

2. Following on from the above, is there a “snap” function that does auto-snaps edges or points when scaling like this so that they snap align on top of each when they overlap?

3. I only thought effectors, such as the Plain effector only works with the MoGraph tools. But it obviously works with the Atom Array so therefore it works with “generators” as well as MoGraph, is that correct?

Thank you!
David

Posted: 09 October 2018 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, David, thanks for taking the time.

The normal scale was “eyeballed”, and I should have used perhaps the new “2D Camera” to get closer, or just the default camera. The Optimize is used to have the points as with that, the polygons eliminated. Otherwise these four inner polygons would be double. The points should be done with the Mesh> Create> Weld tool to be 100% precise, while choosing the middle position. (If you use the Weld tool, use the Space-bar to toggle between Live Selection and Weld! The Optimize tool prefers one point and deletes the others. Here it would have been four welds, not a lot of work.
2 Not to my knowledge, and here we would have three points each time, which one would snap to which…
3 Yes, Effectors can be deformers! With the new Fields, this is a whole new game! Lots to explore.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]