A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Learning Character Rigging
Posted: 19 September 2018 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-01-03

I am somewhat stressed out by the tutorial “Biped-Rigging” Why? Well many things are just done and not explained WHY they are done that way.
The Tutor is just commenting on his workflow. It is surely nice to looke at but what I need are explanations. Isn’t there a Tutorial within Cineversity where the basics are explained? Until now I have not found one unfortunatly….
Thanks for the help in advance
Ulfert

Posted: 19 September 2018 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ulfert,

Please have a look here:
https://www.cineversity.com/learn/character_rigging

I have moved your post to the Q&A, because any post created in the Tutorials forum should be only created with the Help button near the specific tutorial-clip itself. This keeps things clear and organized.
If I do missed your point, that you would have rather moved it to Cineversity site issues, please advice.

I think it is a fair assumption that the QuickStart guide was read already, to get an idea about C4D’s way of doing things.

Bret’s tutorials are normally seen as excellent, after all he worked on movies who got oscars, and is since quite a while in the industry. However, if that series is the best to start is certainly worth a discussion, while the text that describes the series shows (at least to me) some direction for a user not new to this.

The simplest way, is the Character Object, top of the list in the given link above. Yes, it allows to do this without even understanding key features of this work, like weighting and joints, Xpresso, etc. But it gives an idea about what is possible.

For any request of such a tutorial, please use the Tutorials Suggestion Forum. I’m certain, if other join that thread in agreement, chances for a new series will be better.

What would I suggest, Take a few joints and bind them to a simple object, explore that, try to break it, etc. Try to paint weight on it. Perhaps just watch the series to the end from Bret, to get an overview.

YES, Character animation is a wide and based on one’s target even a complex field. The resources, speaking about books, are also very limited.

My best wishes for your exploration

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 20 September 2018 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-01-03

Dear Dr. Sassmannshausen,

thank you very much for your very fast answer.
Kind regards

Posted: 20 September 2018 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

YOu’re very welcome, Ulfert, thanks for taking the time.

I certainly know the overwhelming feeling to start in this filed of work. It is not just a few tricks and techniques. After all, each character needs to connect with us (the audience) deeply to work nicely. This requires a lot of attention from the artist, and even more from the one setting all the possible expression into usable functions. I write this, not to show how much there is to learn, I do so to acknowledge the feeling (I guess) everyone has during the first weeks diving into it. But after all, having brought life to a character and feel that it can transfer emotions, is just great. Especially when this character is on the big silver screen and the audience is “going” with him/her emotionally, this is priceless and worth the initial trouble.

My best wishes.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ packaging zigzag cut      odd shape to build ››