A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

1 of 2
IK tag rest FK button used in expresso?
Posted: 07 September 2018 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2016-02-22

Hello

Iv managed to set up a rig limb which has a FK to IK switch in which the fk also moves the IK goal.  Now I wish to do the reverse this, that is to get the position of the IK that has moved to set the fk controlers into place to remain there, in other do the very thing thats found in the IK tag the (Reset FK) button only I need to automate this button so when I switch from IK to FK this button gets pressed or another fuction that will do the same thing.

Thanks,  Dan

File Attachments
Daniel Ripley-IK FK swicth and follow.zip  (File Size: 65KB - Downloads: 54)

Posted: 07 September 2018 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Dan,

The IK solution will follow an algorithm, not an FK chain.  So, it follows the Goal of the IK, not the Nulls in your set up. Besides that, there is an IK FK solution in the IK. A simple switch would just show as a jump in pretty much all cases. Hence the slider in the IK/Tag, to get back there with some transition.

To do it manually, Bret has done a tutorial series, it is old and based on the idea to create it with constrains only.
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/ik_fk_arm/ikfk_arm_part_1a

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 September 2018 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2016-02-22

Hi, Thanks for your fast reply.

I have been following these very videos.  Iv been doing IK/FK Arm, Part 3B which he gets there, but he has to set keys to keep the fk controlers in place, I was hoping since then some things have advanced.

Dan

Posted: 07 September 2018 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the additional information, Dan,

You found that series already, great, he is the master.

If you take tan arm, the elbow will be calculated by the IK, if the wrist is following the Goal, and based on the Pole setting. This position is a result of an algorithm, and can’t be overwritten if one likes to have at the same time (switch to) a full IK result. The Pole and the Goal are the only direct object one can change for the IK, and the Pole should not sit on the elbow, as it would lose all of its use if the arm would be just straight.

I see no Reset IK button on the native tools, and this makes me a little bit more certain with my idea about.

This is how I understand the problem, and so far I haven’t seen a C4D solution for that, other than the tools IK/FK given so far. Of course, perhaps someone will find something, things are getting better all the time. Perhaps you do it, I would appreciate that of course.  Sorry, that I can’t share more.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 September 2018 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2016-02-22
Dr. Sassi - 07 September 2018 04:00 PM

Thanks for the additional information, Dan,

You found that series already, great, he is the master.

If you take tan arm, the elbow will be calculated by the IK, if the wrist is following the Goal, and based on the Pole setting. This position is a result of an algorithm, and can’t be overwritten if one likes to have at the same time (switch to) a full IK result. The Pole and the Goal are the only direct object one can change for the IK, and the Pole should not sit on the elbow, as it would lose all of its use if the arm would be just straight.

I see no Reset IK button on the native tools, and this makes me a little bit more certain with my idea about.

This is how I understand the problem, and so far I haven’t seen a C4D solution for that, other than the tools IK/FK given so far. Of course, perhaps someone will find something, things are getting better all the time. Perhaps you do it, I would appreciate that of course.  Sorry, that I can’t share more.

All the best

Three is no reset IK, there is a reset fk which I was referring to.  This lets me move the IK into any position, and when I press the “reset fk” button it sets the FK to where the IK have placed then joints, thats exactly what I want.  As you can see in my file I can pose using FK and have th goal move with the wrist, no issues there.  In Maya when you switch from IK to FK the joints do not try to blend between the two, or back to the FK position but leave the pose where it is. Of course in Maya you still have the blending method to.

In video bellow notice how he lifts the arm using IK, and when he switches to FK to arm stays there, it does not try to move back to the original fk position.  He continues to animate using FK.  This is also somthing I can do in MODO.  I can get the FK to match the IK, or IK to match the FK.  When I press the “reset FK” button id like to know what its doing as it gets me the results I want, only id like to be able to wire that button in expresso to be automated.

https://youtu.be/OEfoiHUYxXs?t=1m33s

Dan

Posted: 07 September 2018 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Dan,

So, the video shows the set up with three hierarchies, as it is done to my knowledge in the Character Object. Your scene file shows one joint and one null set up. This is not what you have mentioned at all.

Please have a look here:

Scene file, screen capture. Perhaps, fingers crossed, this answers your question)
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/wKSSPl7aanCoNrXh1yvjcL60BeWkCYbyZ0vJ0n8rwJH

This is a simplified version, if the IK is a receiver (FK mode) then it represents the Goal, If IK is the driver, then the FK represents only one joint, but it is hopefully clear how to expand on that.

Enjoy your weekend

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 September 2018 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2016-02-22
Dr. Sassi - 07 September 2018 05:34 PM

Dan,

So, the video shows the set up with three hierarchies, as it is done to my knowledge in the Character Object. Your scene file shows one joint and one null set up. This is not what you have mentioned at all.

Please have a look here:

Scene file, screen capture. Perhaps, fingers crossed, this answers your question)
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/wKSSPl7aanCoNrXh1yvjcL60BeWkCYbyZ0vJ0n8rwJH

This is a simplified version, if the IK is a receiver (FK mode) then it represents the Goal, If IK is the driver, then the FK represents only one joint, but it is hopefully clear how to expand on that.

Enjoy your weekend

Thanks again.  I will check out the links later on.  I do already have a 3 joint set up, but that wasnt the issue Im trying to solve right now, its getting the FK to stay put when the IK has put the rig into a new pose.  The file I made was to deal with just that, then later on will try to put that into a IK FK blend rig using the Pose Morph method (see file).

Thanks, Dan

File Attachments
danlel ripley IK FK blend pose morph.zip  (File Size: 76KB - Downloads: 50)

Posted: 07 September 2018 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Dan,

The video showed a set up based on three. Why you link to that and made me go through it? I feel a little bit lost.

Have a great weekend.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 September 2018 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2016-02-22
Dr. Sassi - 07 September 2018 05:45 PM

Dan,

The video showed a set up based on three. Why you link to that and made me go through it? I feel a little bit lost.

Have a great weekend.

The last link I put was to as reference to the 3 rig set up that I have already made ,but is not related to this thread, this thread is about getting the IK tag button (reset fk) to work in expresso so I can force the FK to stay put where the IK had positioned it.

The first link to the youtube video should have played from my chosen point of the video. As explained it was the function of the way Maya switches and retains the FK position once set from the IK pose Im interested in, and for now was trying it on a simple single rig set up. Sorry if you had watched further than needed, there is no way to auto stop or specify a end point of where to watch to, only from.

I cant view the video you linked yet it says its not ready, but if you mannaged to set a 3 rig set up thats even better as thats where Im heading to anyway, I was just trying to keep it simple for now.  I have got the file which il look at later on so thank you for that.

Thanks for your time.  Dan

Posted: 07 September 2018 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Let me know what you think about the file, Dan. I will check what happens to the video. (Edit: plays fine now)

Here is a screen shot from the Character Object. Worth a study, with no doubt.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/QkZV3deIRY5NYfmev53lK2vmMFmuEVlNT3rpl8qiats

Cheers.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 09 September 2018 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2016-02-22
Dr. Sassi - 07 September 2018 06:37 PM

Let me know what you think about the file, Dan. I will check what happens to the video. (Edit: plays fine now)

Here is a screen shot from the Character Object. Worth a study, with no doubt.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/QkZV3deIRY5NYfmev53lK2vmMFmuEVlNT3rpl8qiats

Cheers.

That file was very interesting, another thing iv learnt for expreso, so thanks for that.  I couldnt implement it into my rig however as the switch requires two variables FK or IK, and in my set up one of them is taken care of that being switching from FK to IK takes care of things as only the IK goal needs to be moved which is easy.  The other way around is the problem as Im not dealing with a single IK goal, Im dealing with the position and rotation of each controller for instance Bicep, Forearm, and Hand.  Being as I just need the FK controllers to update I cant see a way I can use a switch, or maybe I can but just cant see it.

The file I uploaded “danlel ripley IK FK blend pose morph.zip” resembles the set up Im likly use.  If on the outset of making this thread I could have referenced the button (reset fk) within expresso there would have be no reason to post this set up file I was aiming for as this would have solved it in which my first more simple file I posted would have be fine, but as Im having to go another route it now becomes necessary to point you in the direction of the file Im needing to target a solution at.

In this file its quite self explanatory but Il add this for clarity.  There are 3 nulls.  Target, IK, FK.  in each null contains the same simple rig colour coded for clarity.  This set up is based on Brets tutorial where a IK-FK blend is made from using a pose morph to blend between IK and FK with the Target rig being the target bound rig to the mesh.  ALL I need to to is get the FK controls to match the new position when the FK rig has put it into their new positions, of which in the IK tag (reset fk) does the job, I need to automate this, or at least get that button accesable more easy within user data.  It seems that this is not posible, so I need to set up a button to match the results of the (reset fk) button found in the IK Tag.

The Character tool is super advanced, at the moment beyond my comprehension or at least to try to reverse engineer it seems close on impossible as links are refereed to links via user data, expreso, constraints, even python scripts that at some point cant be traced where they are controlled from, its a deep nest of complexity that I would have had to been the creator to fully understand, and to grasp the meaning behind the name conventions.  I can see from your screen shot that Im on the right track by using 3 rigs.

The IK FK switch in the character tool however seems to do nothing,  I would assume it was to do the very thing Im trying to do, force the IK to match the new position in which the FK had placed the joints/controlers, and vice versa?

Thanks, Dan

Posted: 09 September 2018 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Dan,

Honestly, I’m a little bit lost here. However, I hope I could filter out the thing that you need.

The XP Null carries the “switch”, simplified as a Constant node. Whatever you like to do, it is a Boolean value 0 or 1, (true or false)

The IK2FK contains all there is needed to put the FK (here a null set up for clarity) to the position of the IK.

I have animated the Constant, so, press play and watch.

Scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/vPNJqw3sONJCwm6POGlhowSbgSaQ60ia730WGqQDzsv

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 09 September 2018 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Joined  2016-02-22

Thank you once again. Maybe Im adding too much detail to my enquiry and its confusing things.  Basically with a single button how can I get any object to match the position and rotation of another?

e.g I move the arm with the IK goal, press a button and it moves the fk controllers to the joints new position.  When I then blend back to FK the arm remains where it is and does not move back to its old fk position.

Dan

Posted: 09 September 2018 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

This is a little bit more trick, Dan.

But on the end, all basics. So bear with me.  There is no “push a button once option” in the User Data arsenal. One has to build it.

Scene file, screen capture.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/NolsGkRU67p2eNHGyPrS1jE1bsBMez8kjXfOhQCbBNp
Updated.

Click on the XP Null Xpresso tag>User Data.

You can see that there is an option for off and on. If you click on the on radio button, the FK jumps (if not press a) to the IK position. When this is done, it jumps to the off.
The main key, that I stress since years, but it gets ignored like crazy grin is to get the priorities in order. Especially with this.

Besides the order in the Object Manager and the priority setting of the two XPresso tags, inside of the XPresso Editor>X-Manger, is a list of all used nodes. This needs to go from top to bottom, in processing order. Often that might can be ignored, until I see a message in the forum, the scene is a frame late, etc. There is no excuse to not get this order clean, since the sorting of it, makes clear how it works to the artist. If one doesn’t know how to sort this, a problem can’t be seen nor solved normal. Honestly, I would go that far and say, if that is not muscle memory, setting up rigs is not advised from my point of view. So, keep an eye constantly on this, it is crucial and not something to be taken cared for if it doesn’t work.

(IK is Animation +1. IF the set up of the IK would have anything higher than that, the XP and IK2FK tag would be in need of an adjustment. (higher, as in processing after/later)

So, having said this, the XP tag content switches the Xpresso IK2FK on and the IK2FK after processing the iteration switches the IK2FK XPresso tag off. If the order would have been ignored, chances are that it fails would be great.

OK, press play and click on the on radio button.

Enjoy.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 09 September 2018 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Joined  2016-02-22

Thank you I will check this out.  Iv found that this very thing Im wanting to do has come up before in depth here.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php?t-876826.html

It seems that its not as simple as I hoped it was, as least not as in the maya video.  As I read in that thread others also want this seam less switch from IK to FK retaining the FK rigs position by updating the controlers.  These files you have been making are usefull even for other things I wasnt aware of.

Dan

Posted: 09 September 2018 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Yes, it comes up once in a while, Dan.

Speaking of this particular “problem”: I assume that one day someone will “reverse engineer” the IK algorithm (or replace it completely with Ai), and will maybe create something stellar, but simple, never seen before. However, I’m also absolutely certain that one will not be me. In that way I try to follow a train of thought of someone, share what I can and hope my tiny contribution might support this. My target is not to be that one, otherwise, I would have joint the Animation Mentor Program and would like many others search my happiness in Character Animation alone. It is after all, a very rewarding area of our industry. … and I certainly love the products of it. I’m more about capture an combining practical footage with 3D/CG renderings, including characters, as in my multi awarded JET movie. for example. Everyone will find a very specific field and hopefully takes the time to grow as much in it. At least I wish that for everyone and support this here as much as I can, and the frame work allows to do so.

My perspective and knowledge about character animation, that I have received over the years shows me, that on a professional level, we have a split here. The Technical Director [TD] and the Artist are the two parts of the equation, and both define what quality each other has to have. The TD’s works can be complex and time intensive, all in order to take as much distraction away from the work of setting up visual expression that tells the story. There is certainly more, but one can’t really create without knowing the other. If you take for example the Character Object, it is one of the easiest to use I have seen, but the most complex rigs I had even on my screen at the same time. This one sets a level, and if not better than that, why bother, would be my question.

In a nutshell, if you like to be more on the TD side of the field, learn Python and make things happen. If you are more on the Artists side, and you have to create your own rigs, spend not too much time on the TD side. Well, that is my 2cents about it. You will find your own balance of course.
On the end, what is your target, aim for that, dive in, invent and always keep in mind, there is no failure, only gained experience.

ENJOY.

Signature 

NEW:

1 of 2