A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Extruded text projected on a curved surface
Posted: 20 July 2018 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2014-08-07

Hi,
this sounds like something I should know and have probably seen how to do but any good tutorials on projecting a text spline on a curved surface?
All the ones I’ve watched don’t focus on the following problem.
No matter what I do, greatly subdivide object, greatly subdivide spline, try every kind of interpolation in Type and Intermediate Points, I always get broken facets showing.
Tried all extrude types and for the life of me cannot lose the facets (see attached screen grab).
Help…?

Posted: 20 July 2018 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi SIX,

I would think that is an expected outcome, given Sweep or Extrude using the same “vector” for all results: So the parts will naturally fall apart.
You need to create such result (of Sweep/Extrude first, then) with deformers, e.g., Surface deformer get to the final state.

I can see very little on an image, if in doubt, please a scene file. A scene file works or not, it is as simple as that. grin
If you have a file tom share, please reduce it to the problem, and no 3rd party stuff, etc in it. I’m happy to look into it.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 21 July 2018 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-08-07

Thanks Dr. Sassi.

Tried the surface deformer but am struggling to get any form of projection that works.

Here’s a cut-down file with the non-working surface attempt as well as the projected spline issue.

Thanks for any assistance / advice you can give.

Posted: 21 July 2018 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2014-08-07

File can’t seem to attach. Trying again (Cineversity can be kinda wonky).

File Attachments
Facet_problem.c4d.zip  (File Size: 571KB - Downloads: 64)

Posted: 21 July 2018 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Six,

YEs, the recognition of the file type is pretty picky. It is a tight security thingy, so far I can tell. Sorry about that. I can always set an upload link. Please note that I only use Dropbox or Amazon as option. I get sometimes “new” download links, but for the sake of a running system here, I will not use anything new again for now.

Please have a look at the two files below.

The file “…_01.c4d” showcases a little bit what is needed to get the Surface Projection to work properly. I used a Plane with the same size, Flat Projection turned into UVs. Now some adjustments can be made. To see how it moves across the surface, the ring has gotten some polygons to be similar to the plane. Just to explain it. However, with that dense resolution for ring and text, I found it to be way too slow with my gear.

The file “:_11.c4d” used the profile of the ring (Edge to spline) and a Spline Wrap to bend it along the profile of the ring, then a Bend Deformer to let it follow the ring. I think this is the fastest way to get this done.

The screen shot is from file “…11.c4d”

All files:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/WXz4iQA09M57AdAWBOPbGdW8rDlIuYyQhw0wvi8SayN

Yes, that is not a one size fits all solution. If you have a different case, perhaps I can find something else.

ENJOY

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 July 2018 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

SIX, your question was about a bended text. I assume it was at one point straight. Which should be the starting point, as that would allow to stay with pretty much all options open. For example to edit the text, or just the adjust the spacing of the text.
If that is possible, you will find in the one minute clip below a fast and precise way to do it. Effort less, IMHO.

Please have a look.

Screenshot/and one minute capture, scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/SrVtaM9Z9HjJcORd59UJr3fHTpbnyVxTLvwhccxmUhW
You can download the clip, for a better viewing experience.

I used the UV Peeler to get a nice UV information. Alternative to that would have been a profile spline from your model and Lathe based a new ring, which automatically would have produced it. Other surfaces might need other setting for the caps.

Have a nice weekend

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 22 July 2018 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2014-08-07

Hi again Dr Sassi.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this.
I’m juggling a few deliveries just now but will try to sort it in the next couple of days.
Wil let you know how I get on.

thanks again,
SiX

Posted: 22 July 2018 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, SIX, thanks for taking the time.

Enjoy your day, and the projects you are working on.

Signature 

NEW: