A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

The Surface Deformer refuses to project a spline on a retopologized mesh
Posted: 05 July 2018 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2014-03-14

I retopologized a ground model over a photogrammetry mesh using the polygon pen tool. When done, I wanted to project a spline onto the new ground surface to create the basis for a brick sidewalk. But the spline refuses to budge. I can project it onto a sphere, a plane and a cube easy enough, but there is something about the new mesh I made that it doesn’t like. I’m sure it’s just a tick box I haven’t checked, though I’ve tried every one I could find. Model attached.

File Attachments
Walkway Contour Export.c4d.zip  (File Size: 92KB - Downloads: 53)

Posted: 05 July 2018 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mford610,

The Mesh has no UV information, so the Surface Deformer has no idea what to do.

Question, do you want to have the spline Just straight down projected, like moving each point on Y down until it hits a surface?
Then use the (while the spline is active) Object Manager> Object> Current State To Object, to get all points on the new spline.
While this spline is active and only the new polygon object is in the scene active/visible, use the
Main Menu>Mesh> Spline> Project: Plane XZ mode. Done. (Some points stayed in the “air”, as I used the polygon object as provided.

If that is not to your liking, the mesh must be larger than the Spline for the Surface Deformer. Take a Plane (800x800), make editable, delete the inner polygons and points, just enough so your Poly Pen results fits in. Merge both Object Manger> Object> Connect, fill the space between. A flat projected material should fill that square (Projection Flat, then Object Manger> Tags> Generate UVW. This should allow now to be used with the Surface Deformer.

I hope that helps.

All of the steps were written down while doing it. File below.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/uiDr2PTHX2vhxufCPura2EZSxNt6fjOwUYf1fKpE7ji

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 July 2018 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-03-14

Ah! Of course - the polygon must be larger than the spline that is to be projected on it. I knew it had to be that simple. Can you expand on what you meant about the mesh not having UV information? Does that affect the functionality of the surface deformer? Also, would I use UV Edit to add UV information to the mesh - would that “fix” it?

Posted: 06 July 2018 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2014-03-14

Yes, I wanted the spline to move straight down on the Y axis to intersect with the polygon surface. Your demo model is exactly right. I can expand the ground polygon to be larger easy enough. I was must impatient to see how the walkway would fit.

Posted: 06 July 2018 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mford610,

For the “Spline Projection” (Mesh>Spline) just down, there is no need for UV information. IT can also be smaller, as you can see, the points don’t move down over those areas.

If the Surface Deformer is used on the other hand, UV(W) is needed, and it must be a pretty good and clean one.
The UV Edit or BodyPaint 3D can help to get something, but the way it works the fastest is by using a texture Tag, setting it to Flat, then go into the Texture Mode (Below the Model/Object icon) and set he yellow grid flat over the whole object. Get it roughly in orientation, then use the Object Manger> Tags> Fit to Object. IF there is an UV tag, name this one, so you know what is what. After that, the Generate UVW Coordinates is used.

If this process is not clear, here is a one minute clip (#479), with several options.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/fWLHjTvrjRnMfnp29Rq2iPq6b5JB1WfT3pnFJJrViPJ

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 July 2018 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2014-03-14

I am sorry to be back again. I tried to follow your instructions but I am clearly skipping some important steps because I was not able to get the same results.

Enlarging the Mesh: I tried to “Merge both Object Manger> Object> Connect, fill the space between…” I could not figure out how to fill the space between. A simple operation, I’m sure. But it defeated me. So I added more to the ground to extend it beyond the size of the spline. Then went back to try the other methods proposed. The results are in the attached file.

Projecting the Spline: Only one end projects down to the surface. The other end stays up.

Generating UVW Coordinates: Your demonstrations were very helpful, and I tried several of the techniques. They worked to project the spline on the surface, only I could not get it to lay down in the proper orientation. On my first try it projected a “mirror image” of the desired orientation (i.e flipped 180 degrees). I tried rotating and flipping the UV grid in Texture Mode and got other configurations but not the desired one. The last variation is in the attached file.

So clearly I am not your brightest pupil!

File Attachments
Walkway Contour Export v2.c4d.zip  (File Size: 106KB - Downloads: 61)

Posted: 07 July 2018 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mford610,

No problem. Lets go throught the points:

The mesh, often such a “negative donut” gap can’t be filled in a single step. I use then little bridges, to give some guidance, and have a little bit more control about teh outcome. In the clip, this is done for speed and not for aesthetic.

Information is everything and the flow of it. IF there are only two points, then there is not so much to work with. These points need to be editable. Also here, check the clip

Please note the UV uses for each polygon a frame, which is based on the closed loop of the edges. All information of these frames are on the edges. There is no information inside other than interpolated flow from the edges. So, a large polygon, will have not the precision to project a spline than many others have. It is different to the Spline> Project, where all the points are moving along a clear path, e.g., down on Y. With the Surface, the UV is crucial, and it might distort the spline, if not fine enough.

Screen capture
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/1HiC0TfqD1lUcVEVW57uqRibMvjPRBL5j2q2YZdr5H4

Please let me know if there is anything else not clear, I’m happy to look into it. Never feel sorry, as long as I have ideas, I will share them. Hopefully it will support your progress.

Enjoy your weekend

Signature 

NEW: