A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Render settings
Posted: 03 July 2018 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2017-09-19

I have some problem with rendering my project.
My project is an animation (a book with photo’s).
I’m looking for the best render settings and also in the fast time possible.

I’ve tried a lot of settings, looked also a lot of tutorials, but i can’t seem to find out what is the best.

Can someone give me some tips ?

Posted: 03 July 2018 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Annet,

You shared very little to work with.
What elements are in the scene, what render engine is used, what format should be distributed. Is there a lot of motion in the scene (camera move, pages flip).

I could go on for a while, but I could easily think of two extremely different set ups with complete different needs and results. Yours might be between or somewhere else, who really knows.
Would you like to share that scene? One page of the book only, with one image, just to get an idea where to go. Just reduced, I guess the file is otherwise too large.

Let me know if you like to have an upload link.

Cheers

Sassi

Tutorial suggestions
http://www.cineversity.com//vidplaylist/r

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 04 July 2018 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2017-09-19

Hello Dr. Sassi,

Thanks, i understand there is a little to work with.
Maybe the link below is good, to get a better idea?
I’ts a little part of the scene (instead of the red pages there are real pictures in the final result).
Without GI the scene gets very dark (see the link)...

Maybe there is some extra tip for me?

I will also take a look at the tutorial suggestions.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi0COyJZj44&feature=youtu.be

Posted: 04 July 2018 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Annet,

I can’t see the settings you have used, no material, no lights/shadows, which render engine, etc. All of that plays in concert. If one of those settings turns out to be the bottle neck, it can’t be always seen in the final result. Take reflections for example, they have a fixed amount of bounces, with a threshold. . (Render Setting> Options). Typically no material has 100% reflectivity in reality, but set so, the threshold has very little power to stop further calculations.

It should render quickly, but some settings might be not needed in the way they are, perhaps they do.

Check you Private Message for an upload link. Ignore it if you don’t like to.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 05 July 2018 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Annet,

I have send you an link with your file. On my computer I got roughly 40 second per frame with the given settings.

I have used the Main Menu> File> Save Project with Assets.
I know you might have put a lot of work into preparing the files for me, e.g., putting your name in front of each image. But that disconnected the path only.

Some thoughts.
I do not have nor do I want to use 3rd party light stuff. I really do my own and do not depend on a plug in. So I do not support the one you used, nor have used it in the file.
Please note that the Floor Object can’t be used with Displacement.
I have used in the Environment Channel and HDR image to provide the table with some “reflections”, to support the audience with some more orientation, etc. This is the fastest way to do this. Kind of a fake but it works fast.
This should be done with the Gold Rings, as the Art shader only maps the image, but doesn’t allow for a reflective change while the camera is moving. I could find a dissatange in time to do so, but I left it in your scene with the Art shader, try it as you like.

To render in Physical Render will, given a certain quality, always be slower than the Standard Render.
You project has 3,500 frames. Roughly each second results in an hour (well 3500 seconds for bean counters) The way I have set it up thirteen times faster than the one I got. I have a hard time justifying Global Illumination for this animation, while render time is of the essence.

Test this set up with a few renders while the Frame Range is set to “Current Frame”, if that looks OK, perhaps render all.

My advice, never render in Quicktime (except for preview) or any movie format. Always in Image Sequence and NOT in 8bit/channel ever. I have set the out put profile to REC709, sRGB is for web image quality and not for any production purposes, certainly not for video.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 06 July 2018 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2017-09-19

Hello Dr. Sassie,

Thank you very much.
I understand what you are saying about using 3rd party light stuff. To be honest: i could not seem to figure out, how to set up the light on my own with a good render. I worked for several months, looked a lot of tutorials, but with no results as the one you send me now.

Eather the light wasn’t good, or the rendertime was too much..
I am still learning how to do that, so i will take a good look into the light you set up for me. Maybe it’s not that hard, but for me it’s a problem. Thank you very much.  When i look into the project you send me i see a beautifull light, I hope I can do that by myself in the future.

Thats a big step forwards for me😊

Posted: 06 July 2018 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Annet,

In my teens I made light show for bands, and had a truck load of equipment, mostly DIY build, but also old spots from theaters, that I repaired. Long story short, I love light.

As a cinematographer one needs to know light, and that is pretty much my source and passion since long. The main tip I can give, if someone starts out with a three point light, without asking what you like to do, run. wink

The main problem with setting the light is to start with too many lights. Find images, paintings, movies that resemble the light you like to have. Then find “pointers” that explains the scene. Typically specular highlights give away where the lights are, and shadows of course. In any way, find the mood you would like to have first. If you don’t have that, anything will be guesswork. One can see that on set when too many lights are set up in hope it will work out at one point. Some masters work often with just one. But to make that a rule is also wrong. Again, mood first, than explore how to get there.

Another point is to explore any outdoor or even indoor scene, if you like the mood, find out what is the key. take snapshots and come back later when things have changed, take snapshots again. Compare.

Of course, it becomes at one point technical, you need to know the given light-sources. Since fourteen years I get scene files from people, and I check them carefully each time. I certainly have an eye on the parameters of light, and which one is left on default.

Learn everything there is about Shadows. They are never black, nor do they have a sharp edge normally. Often shadows have a blue tint, and sun light is warmer. IF done just slightly, it feels more right than just white light and black shadows.

Yes, I could go on and on, but I guess these are the base pointers. Quality of light.

Have fun exploring

Cherrs

Signature 

NEW: