A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

3 of 11
CV-AR: Support
Posted: 21 September 2018 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2017-08-24

Tested on R19 and R20 with no difference.
Also the video playback on the iPhone shows all black

Posted: 22 September 2018 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2018-09-04

I love this plugin! I signed up for Cinversity specifically for this. Super excited to see where it goes!

But I am having an issue where it only *once* successfully created a face mesh with the data + geometry from iphone (the first time using the plugin). Since then it is only able to insert blank face meshes no matter how many times I try.

I have seen a few other posts here with similar issues (only inserting a blank face mesh) Any ideas or pointers? Attaching an image that should show what I’m talking about - you can see only the first one worked. Thank you!

Max

Posted: 22 September 2018 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2018-09-04

Following up,

I’ve tried reinstalling both the app, CV-Toolbox and restarting various parts of C4D, and unfortunately this plugin is still completely non-functional for me. If it helps. I am seeing that it imports all “captures” at exactly 100 frames, which doesn’t really indicate much other than its not working.

Looking forward to hearing a solution to this. Thank you!

Max

Posted: 24 September 2018 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2015-02-28

Just got a new iPhone Xs - the plugin doesn’t work. No mesh data is imported, the movie previews are black.

I’m guessing this is an issue related specifically to the new phone. I could really, really do with this for a project I’m starting on now so please fix it!

Looking forward to it being ironed out though because this plugin is so potentially great.

Posted: 25 September 2018 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-10-10

I have a new iPhone XS Max and I am having the same issue of black frames in the movie.mov file and no mesh added when ‘add to scene’ button is clicked. The ‘add mesh’ button will add the mesh to the scene, but there are no blendshape animation keyframes and the ‘set timeline to FrameCount’ button sets to 1 frame duration.

The jpg image sequence and FaceData.txt and FaceGeo.txt files transfer from the phone to the computer, but apparently don’t get translated correctly to the C4D scene. I tried in both R19 and R20 and got the same result.

Very cool plug in concept. I’m excited to put it to use. Thanks for developing it.

Posted: 28 September 2018 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2017-08-24

works great with XS after the plugin update!

Posted: 14 October 2018 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2009-02-16
maxbatt - 22 September 2018 06:24 AM

Following up,

I’ve tried reinstalling both the app, CV-Toolbox and restarting various parts of C4D, and unfortunately this plugin is still completely non-functional for me. If it helps. I am seeing that it imports all “captures” at exactly 100 frames, which doesn’t really indicate much other than its not working.

Looking forward to hearing a solution to this. Thank you!

Max

Hi Max,

I was just wondering if everything is working ok for you now? With the new update to the plugin the issues relating to iOS 12 should have all been solved.

By default it does not change the timeline in your scene when you load in a capture. To see all the frames in your timeline you can press the “Set Timeline To FrameCount” button on the capture object itself.

Best Regards,
Kent

Posted: 19 October 2018 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Joined  2013-10-10

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the plugin update. That made it possible for me to import and work with the blendshape data using iOS12. The 1440 x 1080 jpeg image sequence transfers fine too, but the 720 x 1280 mov file is still just black image with audio. Having the full frame image isn’t critical to the way I’m using the plugin right now, but I could see that being helpful to have in the future.

I’m also curious if it’s possible to unlock the mesh and expose the position, rotation and blendshape data as keyframes.

Thanks again for your work. It’s a lot of fun to use.
Bryan

Posted: 29 October 2018 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Joined  2009-02-16

Hi Bryan,

Is the movie black on the iPhone? Or when you view it on your computer?

Also just to confirm we are looking at the same thing, is it the movie when you right click on a thumbnail and choose Play Movie?

Could you give me the version number of C4D, what OS your on (and its version) and also your iPhone make/model and iOS version?

I will then look into it to see if I can reproduce the issue.

Thanks,
Kent

Posted: 29 October 2018 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Joined  2013-10-10

Hi Kent,

The 720 x 1280 movie file is black on both the iPhone XS Max and on my MacBook Pro (iOS 12.0 / macOS 10.12.6 / C4D r20.) The thumbnails in the iPhone app show an image (both in the ‘Captures’ folder as well as when you tap on an individual clip and it comes up with the play icon overlaid, but the movie file itself is all black (with audio.) Thumbnails on my Mac are black.

As I said before, the JPEG sequence is all there but it’s cropped to 1440 x 1080.

I will probably upgrade to iOS 12.1 next week as long as it’s not too buggy. I’ll let you know if that has any effect.

Thanks,
Bryan

Posted: 31 October 2018 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Joined  2009-02-16

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the additional information.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix for the black movie file. You will have to wait for the next version of the App to be released.

The issue I believe is that your phone (iPhone XS Max) has a higher resolution for the ARKit image capture than the iPhoneX. And this higher res will need to be accounted for in the movie creation, which I will do in the next update for CV-AR.

For iPhoneX we only get images at 1280x720 resolution, but for your new phone this looks like it has been increased since you say you are getting images at 1440x1080?

You mention that these images are cropped. Could you explain what you mean by that? Does it look correct in Cinema 4D when you transfer? Or are you comparing this image to what you would get if you took a selfie using the same front facing camera? Since taking a selfie uses higher resolution that what is possible in ARKit.

Thanks,
Kent

Posted: 02 November 2018 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

The new iPad Pro has the necessary FaceID camera to support CV-AR, but some tweaks need to be made in order for the capture app to work on the iPad. We hope to make those changes soon.

The CV-AR plugin is included with a Cineversity Premium membership, which can be purchased separately or is included at no extra charge if you have a Maxon Service Agreement. The plugin itself is not available for individual purchase - it’s only available as part of a Cineversity membership.

Posted: 08 November 2018 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
Joined  2013-10-10
Kent Barber - 31 October 2018 05:16 AM

For iPhoneX we only get images at 1280x720 resolution, but for your new phone this looks like it has been increased since you say you are getting images at 1440x1080?

You mention that these images are cropped. Could you explain what you mean by that? Does it look correct in Cinema 4D when you transfer? Or are you comparing this image to what you would get if you took a selfie using the same front facing camera? Since taking a selfie uses higher resolution that what is possible in ARKit.

Thanks,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Sorry for the delayed response.

The JPEG image sequence is indeed 1440x1080 (The files are rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise from how it was shot, but when you look at it as a texture in C4D it is applied correctly.)

I said that the image seemed cropped because I assumed the original was 16x9 and that the 4x3 JPEGs were extracted from that. The images look fine since 4x3 is all you need for face capture. (16x9 would be a really long face.)

If it’s possible to get the maximum resolution movie output at some point in a future update I’m sure that could be useful in some future project. But the app is working very well for my current needs.

Thanks,
Bryan

Posted: 11 November 2018 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Joined  2009-02-16

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The images saved out are those that are directly captured by ARKit, so this is the resolution that it is capturing at. That explains why on your newer phone the resolution is higher.

The images are saved unaltered, which is why they are also rotated by 90 degrees. The movie is being generated directly from these images after the capture has finished. This is why it is the same resolution. Generating the movie directly from the captured images ensures it maps perfectly for each frame, although this movie is not actually used by the CV-AR plugin and it’s mainly for reference. Capturing a movie while recording (at a higher res) would be an additional process, which may result in the texture not lining up correctly, and also its additional processing power that could impact on the face capture data itself. But I can look into it down the line to see if it is a possibility.

Glad to hear it’s working out well.

Cheers,
Kent

Posted: 11 November 2018 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
Joined  2013-10-10

Hi Kent,

Thanks for clearing that up.

There’s definitely no need for the extra movie file if the maximum resolution output of the sensor is already there in the JPEG sequence—especially if that might compromise the capture quality.

I was just assuming that my images were cropped since the original iPhone X was outputting a 16x9 movie.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Best,
Bryan

3 of 11