A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

2 of 2
Motion Tracker / Object Tracker - Fixed manual tracker possible?
Posted: 07 May 2018 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2015-09-03

Hello Dr. Sassi,

thanks for the additional tips and tricks. I ran myself into a lot of bumps today, regarding to calibrating the object tracker (to match the actual size of my animation object), getting the container Nulls in the right position, paranting the baked animation to a Null (with “create - Null” the baked animation wasnt movable (I really have no idea why). By using “Group Objects” to group the “baked-Animation-Null” into a new null worked on the other hand - weird), and man many more.
But I think i managed to get it done for now.
If you are curious, I will write the problems down another day, and how I fixed them.

Thumbs up for your endless support. Awesome!
Cheers,
Frank

Posted: 07 May 2018 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Frank,

You’re very welcome, I’m happy to look into any given scene files to avoid problems for others here

The Create Null or Group is the same object, only the Position is perhaps different with the “group”, hence the problems. I really advice to be careful with the short cut: Group. Really and absolutely! There, I said it twice a day. Yes, I read that it was only useable with the group, which indicates to me, something in the file is not right. However, the amount of problems you have encounter is not plausible to me.  Something is missing. Sometimes a scene file can break, I advice then to start over or copy and paste things into a new fresh file.

Just as I always believe to test things is better than to write from my memory, as updates might change things: I baked a copy of an object-tracked object, while its position was not on “PSR zero’e out”, the Group short cut moved the object, not in that moment, but after moving the time-slider and back to the previous time position, the object has not the same position! A huge problem. So, please, check this carefully. I advice as much as possible against it!

Edit: Here is a little demo, the green is always the reference. The yellow and the red one are just based on the Group short cut, the blue one is based on a Null (PSR:0,0,0;1,1,1;0,0,0).
Screen capture
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/iNBcvFqNTwOCKWzAGpy7DPShxKRb9RR5pDR5KSaLy0D
/edit

I hope that sound reasonable: My target here is to work in a clean way, that means to go back where it worked and use another route if possible. After a while a scene file would be otherwise a patch-collection, perhaps hard to manage as well. Not nice. Discussing to patch an avoidable problem is not my wish.

If you have any follow up question, please let me know.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 May 2018 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2015-09-03

Hello Dr. Sassi,

thats what I meant.. weird. I always go the clean way, avoid shortcuts as much as possible.
Thus I was surprised that it didnt work with the clean null but by grouping the baked null into another.
It behaved exactly the other way around as you said and as I thought it would. Maybe its a broken file
(the object is pretty complex in folder structure and content) or even my c4d needs to be reinstalled.
however, I will work with this file now to get it done and get into it again when I have more time.

All the best!
Frank

P.S.: Just so that I have addressed it, your explanations and help are so good that my former problems
would have been easy to solve in retrospect.
I thank you for your help.
Keep up the good work !!

Posted: 07 May 2018 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Frank, I added a screen capture to the post #17. Please check.

I’m not against short cuts, e.g., to call up specific things. But in the case of the Group, it has proven to be a very clear source of trouble, as long as animation is involved. IF it has worked for you, that would be an alarm bell for me, for one or the other reason.
From the five digit amount of files that I have explored so far, it is more often than – at all (!) – the case that there is a user based reason for a problem and not a broken file. A broken file, at least what I get here in the forum, once or twice per year (max!)… so its a rare possibility. Fixed in nearly all cases by copy and paste the whole Object Manager content.

Leaves me to say, save early, save often (or use auto-save). If a file is really broken, sometimes the support can help.

Fingers crossed, you get your target.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

2 of 2