A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Best Way to Learn C4D Foundations?
Posted: 07 April 2018 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2018-02-05

Hi all,

so, I hope this inquiry is in the correct place. If not, please let me know and I’ll gladly move it to the proper location. Also, If this question is redundant, and it probably is, if you could point me to the right direction or give me some better search terms (I’ve already tried looking before asking here), I’d truly welcome the suggestions.

So, I am coming from Modo. I have an intermediate knowledge of 3D. I know every program wants to work in a specific way and that there are principles to the structure of that program. The hard part is finding the content that helps one see the whole picture. In modo, for instance, some of the oldest videos seemed to be the most relevant and helpful as they depicted in small principles and ways, the build order princples for fabricating any given object. Is there something like that here in Cinema 4D? Are the oldest videos the best or are they not applicable any more?

Thanks so much in advance. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Fauntail

Posted: 07 April 2018 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Fauntail,

The short answer, have a look here:
https://www.cineversity.com/learn

Your questions:

Please use the right mouse click option in the application itself, it leads directly to the content needed. It might help as well to get the specific terms in question.

The oldest videos have certainly the disadvantage of using the interface of the, back then, current release.

The “whole picture”, that is a larger or perhaps just a simple question. I guess the link above has given already some insight.  I will go more in detail below, as it is your target that should be known first.

More in depth and why such a general question would really fit the individual needs:
I tell you obviously nothing new, but since we talk in a forum, a common request is, to come from one application and want to find in the new application similar tools. This is certainly a nice idea, but it might also block the view of how things are done in a specific app. Modo, coming from Light Wave had certainly some new ideas to overcome LW, hence why the guys had split from LW. No one would really expect in Modo to have everything as it was in LW, whats the point then, right? C4D is different as well, and sadly, we have no training for Modo users targeting now C4D.

I have explored over the years how people learn, and tried to classify this. Not to judge the content, more to see what works with one and what with other artists. There is no one size fits all. However, I think that most material that is really needed is just all basic, there is not a lot advanced stuff that would allow for being on the top. The most brilliant artists results
or solutions are clever combinations of such basic things.
Advanced is mostly based on combinations of those basic functions, options and tools. Typically, so my experience, people don’t like to do extensively basic stuff, but it pays off after a while. Jumping over it, perhaps with some “advanced tutorials” gives only the illusion of making maximum progress; It’s more often than not a “paper tiger”. So, even you tell me you are intermediate in your skill set, the truth will be that you have some very high skills and understandings of the matter in some fields, but also some areas with less perhaps.
HERE exactly starts the problem, every single artist has a different mix, every single one. As you certainly know as well, the needed knowledge is not limited to the tools of an application. Problem solving strategies and mathematics, knowledge in many specific areas as well comes to mind. Think of architectural visualization or medical viz, besides Motion Graphics, to name only a few.
So, whatever I can suggest is just a guess, not knowing you and your background nor target. For that we hope that the search options and filter options in the Cineversity interface will help. But that is of course only a fraction of the idea behind Cineversity.

The answer that Cineversity has for all of these things, is: specific series, playlists, and the forum, as well as 1on1 training. As I mentioned, there might not be anything that fits 100% given the huge variety what our artists here needs.

All of that said, every artist has a different pre-knowledge, and a different target. No one learns an application completely anymore, just in case. At least I have seen anyone in the past two decades who knows everything, and I used 3D longer than that. Which leaves me to ask, what is your target? With out that, I might waste your time.

As a personal note, I read the manual many times since the mid 90s, and from time to time I browse the Main menu>Windows> Customization> Customize Commands. Here is a long list with pretty much all, except some parts, like XPresso for example.

The Quick Start Guide from MAXON delivers via a quick read a good first impression.

Perhaps take a little bit time and enjoy the presentations from next weeks NAB on
http://www.c4dlive.com
After that, I hope you have a ton of ideas what to explore. grin

Enjoy your weekend

P.S.: https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/cineversity_live_2012-03-21

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]