A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Saving project takes a lot of time
Posted: 25 November 2017 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2017-09-19

Hello,

When I save my project (a book with a lot of photos, some candles, floor, wall, frames, animation etc.), i takes almost 10 minutes to save the project.
Is there antything i can do about it?
I don’t understand why it takes so much time to save.
Cinema 4dR19.

Thanks for the help!

Posted: 25 November 2017 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Annet,

Would you mind to check how large the Folder with all assets is, and the scene file as well?

To get an idea about the time it takes at least, save an empty scene file.

Since I have to guess here the reason of the slow process, my least favorite way to do, if all the images are stored while you saved it, then there was (perhaps) a larger data transfer needed. If so: You can avoid this, by either determine the place where the image are (Preferences>Files>Asset Paths). Which means the images are not copied, they are just “linked”, if “Save [as]” was used. Or, to manually create a project folder, and inside of that folder create a folder called “tex”. Inside of the tex folder place all the images you want to use. Pick the images from there while creating your project. Save the project file from the start in the project folder.
If you have all on one hard drive, and your book has maybe 100 tiff images – each 100MB large, while the drive has USB2 speed only, then 10 minutes would be even fast, as the images have to be read, and then written. Again, guessing is certainly no my understanding of professional advice.

All the best

More detailed information about,
Preferences>Files:
https://help.maxon.net/us/#PREFSFILES-PREF_FILE_MAIN_GROUP
or
General Project Save options:
https://help.maxon.net/us/#5595

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 26 November 2017 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2017-09-19

Hello Dr. Sassi,

Thanks for the reply.
At this stage a have a tex-folder that contains 60 items and they are about 80 Mb all together.
I don’t think this is the problem.
My .c4d file is more than 1,5 Gb and 1 think this is large compared to a new example(98 kb) i made.

My tex-folder and .c4d file are on a internal harddisk (projects, fotos and videos).
While the project was busy saving i checked where the write action were taking place and that was to the windows disk, this is a seperate SSD-disk.
Is there any action in the backgroend that could explain that?

Posted: 26 November 2017 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the information, Annet.

I have no idea what happens to the file, given the file size that you shared last time with that same (?) project. Back then it was 580KB!

So, the file itself is the problem. What happens if you copy any object in the object manager and paste it in a fresh new document, save it into your project folder, so the tex folder is read later on. Is that file smaller/faster?

I just checked the 656 files I have created for Cineversity this year so far, only 21 of them are larger than 10MB, and the largest is close to 100MB. I have larger files, but 1.5GB for a project like yours make me wonder if the plug in you are using is perhaps causing it?

Let me know if the copy/paste/save process showed a better performance (time/size).

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]