A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

1 of 2
Render Marked Takes / Motion System
Posted: 29 September 2017 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2017-02-07

I have marked a few Takes in my take manager I’d like to send to the picture viewer. If I have the current take set to anything BUT the marked ones and click the “Render Marked Takes to PV” button, it will try to render the current active take first, and not the ones I have actually marked. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I’ve got specific render settings set up for each take. I’ve set each of them up to render to different output paths. When I try sending the takes to the picture viewer, it pops up an error saying there are conflicts with the output names. But I know without a doubt that each one is set to render to their own directory with unique file names. Is this a bug?

Posted: 29 September 2017 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Matt,

It is really hard to tell from a screen shot. The only thing that I can see is, that the “Bolt +…” has no render settings applied. What was the error message? Was it “… Already exists do you really want to overwrite it?”. Change the render names, and check it again after change if you really have not overwritten a previous setting. The confusion that I have seen happens with the little squares and the name of the settings, which one to click to get what is wanted.

So, I have set up several versions, and tried to reproduce it. I can’t. It all works fine here. I have, as well as, checked all the usual suspects (sources) and also here, I couldn’t find any problem mentioned.

When something isn’t working, as I though it should, I start with a fresh scene and set up a minimal configuration. When this works, then I know something happen in the larger main scene, caused by me.

Could it be that this would help:
https://www.maxon.net/en-us/support/how-can-we-help/

If you think it is a bug, please contact the support
https://www.maxon.net/en-us/support/how-can-we-help/

Without a scene file, it is mostly is guessing and not really pro-like, as it takes time on both sides with, more often than not, no result.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 29 September 2017 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

Thanks Dr. Sassi. I will try to gather more information tonight and get back to you about it. I know it wasn’t “… Already exists do you really want to overwrite it?”

I didn’t think it would be trying to pull some of the settings from the parent take (Bolt + Carrier Wireframe). I figured with each take having its own render settings, regardless of parent, that it wouldn’t matter.

Posted: 29 September 2017 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, Matt.

When the render-settings are not set per take, then it inherits those from the parents.

When it inherits those, then the Save as is also inherit, and that will only work if a token for the take is set, considering that at one point the parent was rendered.

Anyway, the variables that are in this set up are already a few, and the combination of those results in many options. I hesitate more and more to even say anything without a scene file. On an average, it take much longer. I haven’t closed the upload link, but I can also set up a new one. (I rather do that then to get an unknown download service provided) Just let me know.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 29 September 2017 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

Well that’s where I’m confused, because each take does have it’s own render settings. And when I select each take and open the render settings dialog, they are in fact correct. I’ll grab a scene file tonight for you and hopefully I can get this figured out.

Thanks again!
Matt

Posted: 29 September 2017 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Matt, I see it differently in your image, not everyone has, but we cleared that already, please have a look here.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/cxIwVea5FUtVNX4FshXpB4GPlnhhUaJtgX8wRiQlC5S

I will have an eye on the upload folder. It is so much better to talk about anything based on a given scene file.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 29 September 2017 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

Dr Sassi,

Please have a look at the attached file. It only has render settings and takes. I have removed everything else. I am using Corona renderer, so it might throw an error at ya. Not really sure what else I could do in order for it to render the takes and render settings properly. Here are the errors I’m getting:

-7 - Wireframe-
Output Errors:
.../AK Assemble/boltcarrier/864x486/outline/outline.jpg File name conflict with file name in 6 - Outline

-8 - Vertices-
Output Errors:
.../AK Assemble/boltcarrier/864x486/outline/outline.jpg File name conflict with file name in 6 - Outline

-9 - Alpha-
Output Errors:

I’m not sure why the “wireframe, vertices, and alpha” takes are trying to name the files outline.jpg. I have specific names set for each one of these.

Thanks!
Matt

File Attachments
takes.zip  (File Size: 216KB - Downloads: 81)

Posted: 29 September 2017 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Matt,

Yes, no Corona here.

But even without, I get this message, and of course I get this, as my Save As Path would be different. I get this message even for a single rendering.

I switched to Standard Render and checked the Corona to off.

I have set a new folder, clicked on the (…) button to save into the new folder for each take (outline, wireframe, vertices, alpha) and got it working. After clearing that folder, I selected the Main Take, and used the Render Marked Takes to PV again. All fine. Did it again and got this message to confirm or cancel:

-6 - Outline-
Output Errors:
/Users/MAXON/Desktop/Matt/outline.jpg Already exists do you really want to overwrite it?

-7 - Wireframe-
Output Errors:
/Users/MAXON/Desktop/Matt/wireframe.jpg Already exists do you really want to overwrite it?

-8 - Vertices-
Output Errors:
/Users/MAXON/Desktop/Matt/vertices.jpg Already exists do you really want to overwrite it?

-9 - Alpha-
Output Errors:
/Users/MAXON/Desktop/Matt/alpha.jpg Already exists do you really want to overwrite it?

Which shows that it rendered, and would do it again, if OK would be pressed. (BTW, I replaced my username here)

My advice: Try with a new folder, perhaps to render on a different disk. If that works, check the disk previously used carefully. I know I got fought on that many times, but I do NOT ever set a file-name with spaces or special signs, e.g., “&”. I have worked for a few years with package designers around the world, and the amount of problems, even with spaces was healing to never ever do that again. No idea if that is the case here, but I love the “_” for that. You even can see it here in the forum, when people post a DropBox URL, if there is a space, the link doesn’t work.

Anyway, I hope that helps, it is not the Take System.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 29 September 2017 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

Very strange! That makes me wonder if it has to do with the spaces in my output paths. I just don’t get it because I’ve used spaces in file names/folders all the time! Anyway, I’ll get rid of them and report back. Thanks again!

Posted: 29 September 2017 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

Same error message! What in the world!

-7 - Wireframe-
Output Errors:
/Users/mattrittman/Desktop/outline/outline.jpg File name conflict with file name in 6 - Outline

-8 - Vertices-
Output Errors:
/Users/mattrittman/Desktop/outline/outline.jpg File name conflict with file name in 6 - Outline

-9 - Alpha-
Output Errors:

Posted: 29 September 2017 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

Interesting…so that takes.c4d file I sent actually works for me as well. So somehow an object or material in my scene is causing this problem…

Posted: 29 September 2017 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

I’ve narrowed it down to this. When I delete these motion layers, it renders fine! Not sure what to do though.

Posted: 30 September 2017 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Matt,

Lots of information, great to work with, thanks.

Take a look at post #6, the file tries to write the same image name for each take “outline.jpg”.

If Cinema 4D wouldn’t alert you, it would just overwrite these files, resulting in one file after four renders.

Try the render token, after your file name: $take
You get this from the little triangle right sided from the (…) button in the Render Settings> Save

I hope that helps.
Let me know if it is working.

Enjoy your weekend

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 September 2017 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

That seems to have fixed it! I still don’t understand why, as I still had different file names for each of those takes. Oh well I guess. Thanks!

Posted: 30 September 2017 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, Matt, for the feedback. Fixed sounds good, and if it happens again, please share the file. An empty scene was just fine.

My best wishes.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 September 2017 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

Bad news. I had started the render last night, but this morning I look at the files, and the 4 takes I had marked are all the same 0_o

Try this new scene file I’ve attached. It includes the 3 objects with motion clips attached. Just click the “Render Marked Takes to PV” button. It should throw the error.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6m0yzmjmlhgjg9/takes_motion.zip?dl=0

Please take a look at the image attachment in post #11 about deleting the motion clips. Doing this fixes the problems. However, I need those motion clips haha. I really need to be able to send takes to the picture viewer. Having to do this one at a time is going to take a while :(

1 of 2