A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Enable/Disable multiple boolean cuts
Posted: 31 July 2017 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2017-02-07

I have an object inside a Boolean object. Beneath that I have a null object with 2 additional objects I’d like to use that will subtract from the original. Please see the attached image and C4D file. I want to be able to enable and disable the different objects that cut from the main object. When I do this however, it has some weird side effects. Is what I’m doing possible?

File Attachments
booles.zip  (File Size: 44KB - Downloads: 61)

Posted: 01 August 2017 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mattrittman,

I have tested it with several releases, all fine. If something happens, instead of the Null, use a Connect Object, it solves more often than not problems.

Would you mind to share what happens?

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 01 August 2017 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07
Dr. Sassi - 01 August 2017 12:09 AM

Hi mattrittman,

I have tested it with several releases, all fine. If something happens, instead of the Null, use a Connect Object, it solves more often than not problems.

Would you mind to share what happens?

All the best

Please see the attached. See how I’ve made both cubes hidden in renderer and viewport and yet they’re still subtracting as boolean objects? I want it so that if they’re disabled like that, that they don’t do a boolean subtraction.

Posted: 01 August 2017 01:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for clearing that, mattrittman!

The visibility editor/render while set to any of the three states of object B will not affect the geometry of the element A.

In the moment a Boole> “Single Object” is used, this switch will not even affect the visibility of the “cut-outs”, only the material will change if different. This is since long the same, I tested even R12 to be certain.

The red arrows in image 1 of post one, pointed to the Active/Enable (The green arrow/or red X) part as well, and since you wrote “I want to be able to enable and disable the different objects that cut from the main object.” that is to my understanding the Enabled function (See Attribute Manager>>Basic> Enabled.)

This enabled option is to use, not the editor/render visibility.

In short, the Boole has the color of a generator, and so it takes the information given to it and produces with it.

Was this an example and the problem has to do with Polygon Objects, which have no enabled options?
Scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Ib2ybaoqS0UoZBxlWl94elytWD7sOH0UJvCtuA7BUwd

If the Objects are “Primitives” the enabled option can be used directly of course.

Let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 August 2017 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

Thanks so much Dr. Sassi! Gosh I am terrible at explaining myself haha. I didn’t even think that I could be using primitives to enable/disable their visibility.

Matt

Posted: 01 August 2017 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Matt.

The main part is that we figure out what is needed, I hope you got what you wanted.

My explanation was meant to represent what I have had received, to make clear why I couldn’t find the weirdness that you encountered. I know this feeling only to well, to get an answer for something that I can see clearly in front of me, but somehow, any given information has no clue about. I try to learn each month a new application or an major update, just to keep that feeling fresh. So, please don’t worry, I’m only interested in finding out what the given project needs.

Enjoy your project!

Signature 

NEW: