A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Where is the hidden texture component of this material?
Posted: 03 February 2017 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2016-07-15

(problem reduced to a textured cube)

I modified a material preset which ships which with C4D and applied it to a cube.
I believe that I have placed all texture components into Object Space.

However, when I animate the cube, it appears to move through “something”.

I like to be seen as a systematic guy - so I rendered an “animation” without the cube actually moving, to verify that none of the texture components themselves are animated.

Where is the texture component which I missed, which doesn’t live in Object Space? Is my brain getting too old to understand “this kind of stuff” .....?

cheers
Günther

File Attachments
cubetest.c4d.zip  (File Size: 184KB - Downloads: 69)

Posted: 03 February 2017 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Günther,

Systematically, that is always a good thing! So, lets continue with it: I switched off all channels in the Material, except one each time. (Another method is to shut off half, and then it must be in the one or other half, which is then also split in half, etc, etc.)

Turns out that in the Color channel is a Distort nested. This Distort was set to 3D, which should be for your targeted use.

Side notes:
I render typically in 32bit/channel, and with Anti Alias to Best, etc. Geometry is only good when there are no textures.
The ‘space” Object pins the Noise to the axis of the object, which in return looks like one would pull the object through the noise while deforming it.

All the best

Screen shot
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/rQwCREoqO37fF0ptCEac6xAXPwlahNtxh1Sh0OXkk3d?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 04 February 2017 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2016-07-15

thanks, Sassi, it works!

I would never have spotted this one, it simply didn’t occur to me that a surface btexture preset intended for a solid object (onyx) would be applied to the volume by default… but I’m aware of it now and it won’t catch me out again.
Oh, and yes, I generally do use better render settings - this is only a quick-rendering rough demonstration of the problem. The real thing is an “inter-dimensional portal” rising slowly out of the ground ... even though it is an everything-is-possible fantasy situation ... the texture animating is not an option. It would look like somebody didn’t know what they were doing…

thanks
G.

Posted: 04 February 2017 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Günther,

Thanks for the feedback. I might always explain things here more in detail, as we are in a forum. The skill level of each member varies naturally. So, please never take it as an estimation about your specific skills. The case was made a while ago that the rendering is far from idea, only to see that it was set to none, as it was all of the sudden faster.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Unity 5.5 ››