A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

R18 Line Cut tool not performing as desired
Posted: 03 January 2017 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-12-13

I am wondering if anyone can point out what I am doing wrong here. I’m trying to use the new Line Cut tool as I used to in previous releases of C4D, but the re-design of the tool is frustratingly counter-intuitive.

What I am trying to achieve is simply to connect two vertices on an n-gon to create a new line segment, thus cutting the n-gon into quads. The problem I’m having is that the line cut tool continues this cut THROUGH the geometry on to the polygons behind, extending the cut beyond where I intend it to go. I would think that this would be activated and de-activated with the “infinite cut” checkbox, but toggling it seems to have no effect. I have also tried selecting the n-gon in polygon mode, and checking the “Restrict to Selection” checkbox, but again, this appears to take no effect.

I have opened a new scene and tried to replicate the problem, and sometimes the problem doesn’t show up, but then, in the same scene, the issue will also re-appear.

Why is the line cut passing through to the opposite side of the geometry and how do I prevent this?

Posted: 03 January 2017 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi tvasurg,

Please contact the support:
https://www.maxon.net/en-us/support/how-can-we-help/

A wild guess and it will certainly only waste your time:
Perhaps “Visible Only” checked off and “Only Selected” checked on?
Will it happen in any display-mode?
At least this will create some more data for the support.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 03 January 2017 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-12-13

Dr. Sassi, thank you for the response. Your suggestion seemed to work, so maybe the functionality of the “Visible Only” checkbox is reversed?

This new line cut tool is kinda wonky, I’m not convinced it was advantageous to break the original tool up into separate tools. I’ve had some other issues with it, I’ll contact the support. Thanks

Posted: 03 January 2017 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, tvasurg!

Yes, being ‘wonky’ is certainly not the target here.
I hope it will be more to your liking soon. Any input the the Suggestions or the Support will make a difference. Thanks for your efforts!

Have a great day!

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]