A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

VRCam -X-Particle strange behaviour
Posted: 01 December 2016 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-08-03

Hi,
I’m using XParticles with the CV-VRCam plugin to render stereo 360 VR images. I found a post on a forum that says if you uncheck the High quality option X-particles will render with VRCam, which it does, but it is doing some strange things and not working correctly. It seems to be splitting the screen - the 360 degree view - into three panels, into thirds - actually halfs I’ve just noticed, just one half is split over the two sides of the render -  with the different section not matching up. The whole X-particle simulation also seems to be doubled and repeated / mirrrored 180 degrees apart.
Also, for example I’m making a meteor trail, that travels from far behind the camera around to far in front over quite a long period of time, There is visible light at the front and a particle trail behind it. The light shows up the whole time, but the particles don’t show up at all to start with, then at a certain point they appear - with a hard edge as if they are being revealed by something - and then continue from that point. I suspect this is linked to the screen split into thirds thing, but its just a guess.

Is this something that anyone is aware of? Is there any way around it, to get it to render correctly? Any help would be much appreciated. I can send through images, movie examples and files if you like?
Thanks,
Rory.

- I can’t see to post an image the post keeps not going through?

EDIT-  I’m trying to post an image in a reply but It does seem to go through, any idea’s I’ve tried making it smaller, its a .jpg

Posted: 01 December 2016 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

I’ve heard there’s some issues, but haven’t had a chance to explore them. I’m guessing though that it’s not something we’ll be able to fix on CV-VRCam side. What we do with VRCam is relatively simple, but our method can only support plugins and features that work with ordinary ray-casting.

Posted: 02 December 2016 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-08-03

Thanks for the reply, I thought that might be that case. I suspect the problem will lay between the two plugins so not get fixed any time soon.
I’m going to try rendering 6 camera’s as a cube map and see how that works as a work around.

All the best,

Rory.

Posted: 28 March 2017 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2017-03-07

Was wondering if there was any update on this? Did you ever get the two plugins working or did you have to render a Skybox type solution?

Thanks
Grfx

Posted: 09 April 2017 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2017-03-07

Anyone come up with a work around on this issue?

Posted: 10 April 2017 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2017-03-07

Just a note on this for others working with X-Particles in CV_VRcam.

From my testing the X-particles material is the issue with the 360 camera… even with HQ unchecked it does not render properly. Instead there is a workaround using Sprites. All of the sprite versions render just fine… lights, Geometry, and even the sprite shapes. You can use the sprite shader to achieve the same look as the particle material in most cases, but there are limitations and the system generally moves slower with sprites. As a workflow, I designed the system using normal particles and then add the generator and sprites at the end and set that as part of my render settings for particles. The behavior is the same with dots or sprites.

I am also going to test sending X-particles to TP today, but that seems like a bit of a hassle unless you want to use Pyroclusters or some deeper TP code.

Thanks
G

Posted: 10 April 2017 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2014-08-03

Hi Thanks for the update.
Not sure why but I tried to post a reply to this a couple of weeks ago and it didn’t submit for some reason. In the end I fixed it in comp and with some carful planning of shots, thankfully it wasn’t too big an issue with eh specifics of the shots I was setting up.