A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Matching project look to Maya
Posted: 07 October 2015 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2007-05-22

Hi, In need to take a project that was created in Maya or Lightwave and build some of it in C4D. Everything transfers, but it appears there is more than meets the eye. I’m not quite sure how the textures were set up and how the look was created for the cube textures. If you have a moment to take a look at, there is a jpeg of the final 3D, and a project file that was from Maya or Lightwave, I have messed a bit with the textures on it. Any clues, as it looks like I am missing some element in getting the cubes to look the way they do. Here is also a background that might have been used as a “light wrap” in Maya or Lightwave and a HDR, although I’m, not really seeing that in the piece.
Thanks
Jon

Here is a link to the files. <http://jledit.com/pickup/CubesforC4D2.zip>

Posted: 07 October 2015 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jon,

The transparence and the reflections certainly do not match.

The supplied “HDRI” Is just an 8bit/channel jpeg, in other words this will not help at all. The sky is typically blown out, see the green fringe,etc. Perhaps they used a jpg, or they do not supplied you with the “real” thing. 32bit/channel should work (Note, HDR/Radiance is not 32bit/channel, some people do that short cut and mess up quality that way)
I do not see how the background applies.

However, before I explore it more, can you exclude any post-production on this (Colorgrading/Finishing, etc.)

I will have a look into that after lunch.

Al the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 October 2015 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2007-05-22

Thanks for looking, yeah I exported the hdri file to jpeg to reduce the files size for the forum, I do have the original. The png files is directly from their render. Thxs
Jon Lewis

Posted: 07 October 2015 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, Jon Lewis, for sharing more details.

Yes, I saw in the texture file field, that a “hdr/radiance” was used. I do not prefer such files, as the color rendition is kind of low. It is however for pure brightness values fairly good. Note it is a 8bit per channel only (not even close a 32bit/channel!), and the RGB values become multiplied at once with a fourth [E] channel, as well 8bit, hence the horrible colors and a very low tolerance for changes. RGBE 4*8bit/channel. Even the developer abandoned it—and that is nearly two decades ago. I have no idea why it stays so long in use (Well I know, as it is only 8bit, it is small, but one pays a lot of fidelity of the scene for it,) It might be OK as final delivery format, as JPEG is for the web, but in production it should be avoided.

Anyway, sorry for my critical comment on that format.

====

The idea to get this aesthetic re-establsihed, is dependent on a mixture of parameters.

First set up a transparency value that matches close your target.

Then set a refraction value, watch for that “inner cube” that is established. Its size is dependent on the refraction value. I would start with 1.5

The absorption color should be set, and the distance of it accordingly to the size of the cubes. The cubes seams pretty small, so the 100cm are just useless here, start with 3cm. Note that the scaling of an object during import will not go through those parameters! They stay and become not scaled.

The roughness of the transparence is another parameter that needs attention.

The environment [sphere] will closely change the “light” inside of the cube. Start with a gradient and set up extreme colors—so you know what is going on. If the brightness works nice, set the colors back! In the attached scene, compare the cube one time on frame zero and then on frame three.

Finally, if the environment is creating the right “light” inside the cubes, the reflection needs to be set up in the material [strength], not longer possible to change in the environment [sphere].

Additionally check the Fresnel Reflectivity, a good starting point might be 14%.

========

My idea was here not to provide a solution file. My intention is more to make you analysis the scene, “what causes what”, and get an idea of how to get it done. I moved [from my point of view] from the strongest influence to the lowest. But a back and fore is most of the time needed, as these things are interactive.

A little bit glow [very tiny] might help, a post workflow as well.

My best wishes

Images from frame 0 and 1, the axis are from the environment/sphere. It changes the appearance heavily, try frame 3! If all cubes were in the scene, the “inter-reflections” will do their own to the results, keep that in mind.

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_TXcu_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 212KB - Downloads: 183)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 October 2015 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2007-05-22

Thxs, I will go over and digest shortly, I appreciate going through it and explaining it. More to learn, thanks so much! Jon

Posted: 07 October 2015 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Jon Lewis.

I guess it is some trial and error, but the ownership of knowledge is un-beatable.
I’m certain you will get through it.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Drop to Floor and PSR ››