A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

MoDyn Medical Logo, Part 02: Texturing
Posted: 29 September 2014 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Hello,

Int he tutorial, the instructor applies an HDRI to a sky object simply by clicking and dragging it from the content browser to the material browser, and from there to a sky objects in the object editor.  In R16, I am unable to do this.

Only by creating a new material can I click and drag it onto the material’s texture editor.  Is this normal?

Posted: 30 September 2014 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Rick says, starting at 03:20 :

“... you find within the CINEMA 4D section Materials,
in the HDRI folder,
there is a collection of HDRI-maps,
they are already set up as Materials for CINEMA 4D…”

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 30 September 2014 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Yes, but that section of the content browser doesn’t seem to exist anymore.  In R16, I believe I have everything installed, the HDRI011 source image that he’s using, a hotel room with green curtains, can only be found in Prime > Presets > Lights Set-Ups > HDRI.

So I imagine that anything with the suffix .hdr cannot be used as a material?  Is this correct?

Either I’m not seeing it, or C4D R16 does not include HDRI images set up as materials?

I’m still wrapping my head around materials, etc.

All the best,

Jerome

Posted: 30 September 2014 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Textures are pixel based formats and typically 2D. With a wide variety of formats and qualities. The absolute amount of pixel is critical and the real bit depth per channel (not to confuse with per pixel numbers! dpi or ppi are irrelevant)

Shaders are mostly algorithm based functions instead of textures. 2D and 3D versions are available. Most of them are resolution independent! (shader vs texture!)

Materials can contain Textures as well Shaders, and informations to set up an appearance (or result, e.g., light) of an object. These are the only parts that can go into a Material Manager, textures or texture tags nor shaders can’t by itself. (Not in the Object Manager)

Texture-Tags are the container for materials attached to objects, while adding individual information as projections methods. (Attribute Manager). Texture Tags are only available in the Object Manager. Texture tags will be automatically created, if the material is dragged or applied to an object.
. .

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]