A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Siggraph 2014 Rewind - John Robson: Fake Particles, Fluid Sim and Photorealism for VFX
Posted: 20 September 2014 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Hello,

Watching John Robson’s presentation, I was inspired to try and recreate some of his animations, but one thing I’m not sure how he and his team did was applying two textures to a cloner object.  On the one hand, there’s a randomized color shader, but there’s also a texture applied to each clone to darken the edges of the cubes.  (See image for reference)

I’ve managed to apply the colors, or create the dark edges, but don’t know how to do both at the same time.  Going through the help content, I haven’t been able to find the right information.  (Please help?)

Jerome

File Attachments
JO_JohnRobson01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 207KB - Downloads: 196)

Posted: 20 September 2014 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jerome,

I’m not certain if what you ask and what he did is the same. I leave it to him to decide.

I can only follow your request and set your file up so it (hopefully ;o) works in the way you like to have it.

Render at frame 36. Perhaps you like to enable Glow for these. I like to have my scen fast when I set things up, no GI or other render stuff that slows down my flow, so it is off here.

Have a great weekend

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_MGcs_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 126KB - Downloads: 252)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 20 September 2014 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Sassi,

Yes!  Thank you so much, now I understand.  So the steps I wasn’t following are:

1. keep the color info on the shader effector
2. apply the dark edge effect on the cloner object
3. apply a layer to the texture channel
4. apple a mograph color shader and set it to multiply

Yeah, it’s the last three steps I had no clue over.  Again, thank you!  Now I know more.

Jerome

PS
And yes, have a great week end too.

Posted: 20 September 2014 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Jerome.

The main thing that I notice over the years is, that the name “Shader” of the Shader Effector leads sometimes to the idea, that the clones could get the shader information as a texture. Each clone receives one single (RGB) color only, from whatever is “loaded” into the Shader Effector.

This color can be used to change the appearance of a clone, or if set to “Black and White” (via ID or “Colorizer”), the “MoGraph Color Shader” can be used even as a mask inside the “Layer-Shader”. In my series of J.E.T. (Junior ExtraTerrestrial) I used this color information to give each “building” in a city extension a different facade color, mixed with a texture; while combining several parts of the building from random clones, etc.

On the other hand, each clone can have “Polygon-Selections” or Extrusion and MoGraph’s MoText have pre-difined selections (C1,C2, R1,R2) which allows to feed different informations to each clone part. Perhaps another way to individualize clones.

With kind of camera mapping you can add even more on top of that. But it needs some tricks. (Note: Camera Projection doesn’t work inside of the Shader Effector, so a different method is needed, spherical with the texture tag axis on the camera ;o)

Have a good one

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]