A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Aligning particles to a path
Posted: 30 August 2014 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-08-30

I learned from the “Example - Particles along a spline” TP tutorial to move the particles on a spline. But not only I want to move the particles on a spline, I also want the particles to be oriented\aligned to the spline. How do i accomplish this? I am attaching a C4D file for your reference.

File Attachments
TP Moving Particles on a Spline Cube.zip  (File Size: 46KB - Downloads: 209)

Posted: 30 August 2014 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi thebaul,

I have attached your scene file with one more node, the New Node>XPresso>Calculate>Vector2Matrix node. (Please note that the New Node>XPresso>Adapter>Vectors2Matrix is a differnt one!) As the Spline Node allows for a “Tangential” read out, I use this to feed the “Alignment” input of the PSetData node. If you click on that node, you get an option to specify X,Y or Z as your orientation.

There might be a slight chance that you run into an “Euler-Angle” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_angles
If so the set up is more complex of course, sometimes a single “PPosition Follow” might helps to a certain degree, as simple fix.

I have set the XPresso Tag in the Attribute Manger to “Camera Dependent”, to have a better refresh of the scene, you might shut it of for your needs.

I have sorted the XGroup, so the flow of information is streamlined and perhaps helps with more data to come to the scene to keep it working. A typical work that I do to have things clean, which might most of the time not needed.

BTW, as this question was not a problem inside of the tutorial, I ahve moved it to the Cineversity Q&A, so people with a direct problem of the tutorial might not have to read through an extended question.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r15_drs_14_TPas_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 38KB - Downloads: 196)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]