A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Adapt Thread Priority
Posted: 27 July 2014 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-12-01

Hello, I seem to be a bit confused on the Adapt Thread Priority in the Preferences/Renderer dialog. I have a 5 system render farm which I use to team render large sequences. I am a one man shop so four of the machines are only used to render, nothing else. My main system is rarely used while rendering.

Should I check or uncheck the box next to Adapt Thread Priority? I did a little testing and really didn’t find much of a difference in render times, checked or unchecked.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted: 27 July 2014 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Devoted.

If you are the only user, and CINEMA 4D is the only task for them, I wouldn’t expect a lot difference either.

The manual states that C4D will get a lower priority if checked. Not what you like to have, if C4D is your primarily interest.

How deeply this effects the team reader, I have to research a little bit more.

All the best
Sassi

Adapt Thread Priority
If this option is enabled, CINEMA 4D will be given a lower priority by your computer’s operating system, i.e., CINEMA 4D will be allotted less calculation time. This can slow the render process but you will be able to work with other applications simultaneously (e.g., text editing, image editing, web browsers, etc.).
If this option is disabled, CINEMA 4D will be given a higher priority by your computer’s operating system, i.e., CINEMA 4D will be allotted more calculation time. This will speed up rendering but other applications running simultaneously on your computer will have slower reaction times because they will be given a lower priority by your computer’s operating system.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 28 July 2014 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2011-12-01

Sounds like I should uncheck. Just out of curiosity what is your setting?

As always thank you for your input.

Posted: 28 July 2014 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Devoted.

You might think that I have it unchecked, but I don’t. I have a more or less an archaic workflow. I try to keep everything as much as possible to the default settings. For many reasons, which might have no importance to your work (I guess). For example in the past ten years of recording tutorials, the standard requirements are: GUI, set-up and pretty much anything should be as it was right out of the box. Any change can throw a “beginner” off. (I learn a lot new apps, and I really dislike it when people do introduction training and show off with extreme customizations. That is just wrong. I try to learn each month a new app to keep that beginner runs agains the wall feeling alive)
In that way, I’m so used to the default that I change only the rotation direction and that the shortcuts are included in C4D. Think of the long list that I would have to check if any setting for a tutorial needs to be mentioned or not. Which is certainly not a standard way of doing it. You should feel comfortable and set the application to its best performance.

So, in a nutshell, I’m not the best example for customization.

I do that with all my applications, to keep anything on default, even since I try at the moment to reduce my pipeline drastically. ... but there is always something new to explore and to check out. ;o) (I hope I find next month some time to check out SGO Mamba FX)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 28 July 2014 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2011-12-01

Totally makes sense, It would be difficult to replicate issues if you alter the defaults. Thanks again.

Posted: 28 July 2014 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, Devoted. :o)

Signature 

NEW: