A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

working in “real life scale”
Posted: 15 November 2017 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2012-07-26

Hi Cineversity,

Question. I need to create a photorealistic replica of a public work of art in C4d. The work of art (basically chucks of squares forming a cube) exists, it is approx. 10 feet tall.

I have heard C4d experts say work in “real life scale”.

I am from a graphic design background, working with type, logos. How do I setup my scene? How large should the overall cube/shape be in terms of units? I went to location and wrote down measurements of the art.

I just upgraded to R19. There will be 4k footage shot of environment surrounding statue. I can give you more info if needed. If there are tutorials on Cineversity on this particular subject I would welcome the links!

Thank you!

Posted: 15 November 2017 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi TCG,

Many years ago, the rule of thumb was three digits before and after the period or the size, to make it safe. This is not longer the main concern. Many parts in the application work best in “concert” when the scale follows real world measurements. But super large scene (landscapes/universes)  or microscopic scaled objects might need some attention.

The real world idea comes into the game, when you have either dynamics or anything that should work close to photographic based results. Whereby light and its parameter is certainly a concern as well.

If the sculpture is ten feet, it should be fine, but since you didn’t mentioned the smallest detail of it, my reply is limited.

If there is more detailed information, I’m happy to look into it, but you should be fine, given the data so far.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 15 November 2017 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-07-26

If I can add or confirm on your reply…

There will be little animation on object/cube-like work of art, maybe small rotation. If I understand your answer on setting up scene, scale for the actual art, when I create this object - you’re saying 100 centimeters is fine? There is no need to make a huge (1000 centimeters) object?

Thank you for quick reply!

Posted: 15 November 2017 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Yes, TCG, if your scene scale is set to cm, you should be fine. There is some kind of scale/unit that will give you a sweet spot for your work, as in: using the parameter fields. Worse case, you use Miles or Kilometers as scene unit, and then like to animate objects in single nanometer units. That will be no fun at all.

The old rule 123.456 (three digits before and after as main range) is even today a good idea, and with your project set to scale/units that allows for that, it should be fun to work with. So, in your case, stay in cm, and so far I can tell from the given information above, you should be fine.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 15 November 2017 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-07-26

Thank you so much Dr. Sassi, I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted: 15 November 2017 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, TCG!

In the moment you have more details and/or questions, please never hesitate to ask.

My best wishes for the project

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Modeling Question ››