A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

2 of 2
Gradually speed up multiple tracks over time
Posted: 08 September 2017 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Matt,

Learning, the earlier the better, of course. As anything you really own in terms of skills will support your growing. I always see it as a tree, the earlier the trunk grows strong, the more safe the branches are, and with this the twigs and the leaves. I guess as a teacher for photography you agree (I hope). Things build up on each other and the progress is, ideally, constant. One can’t really learn when it is needed, speaking of complex things. But yes, it is as difficult to come from still images to do film, as it is difficult to come from film and work with still images, it is a complete different thinking and a different creative process, and sometimes it can slow down the progress—for a moment or two.

Please keep always in mind, that anything we are interested in will not bore us. If we have no interest in engineering, which I think is the core of your project, then it will keep them to the end. Take this thread for example, if one has not these challenges at the moment, one might not be able to make any sense of it, or doesn’t understand all the details. If someone wants to understand the technique of this “instrument” and why it reloads on its own, then this project is wonderful. But again, I’m not anywhere near to say that I have understood the audience or what the term really means, speaking of creating content. No-one really knows it, and the one pretending to know it, have no clue.  Why would a $1/4 Billion movie fail otherwise? But I digress.

Your storyboard is logical structured, and introduces the parts before going into the mechanics of it. What ever audience you imagine, will guide your editing. Your storyboard can lead to a long version of the movie or to a very fast paced version. The speed of the final you see in your mind is relatively clear to you, not to me for now.

There is an old discussion, should a screen writer write about what s/he knows or more what s/he doesn’t knows. What s/he doesn’t know, needs to be explored and the impression what is new will tint the movie in a different way other than knowing all parts and working yourself “just” through, without even getting “stupid” for a moment: Getting “stupid” for a moment is a high skill, to ignore what you know and see the image for what it is. If you can go with such fresh eyes after the long way you have taken already, your work will be better. And perhaps, now, that close, with all parts already available, the fun part should be not forgotten, to get faster, form the slow mo to the realtime speed is certainly an essential part of the movie, perhaps gives an rhythm for all assembly scenes before, with a light increase of the speed and closeness. Like a “Shepard Tone”. wink

My best wishes for exploring the next steps. It will be great, I feel it. Remember the first time you saw all the parts working and the impulse you had to animate all of that, you’re that close.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 September 2017 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2017-02-07

Having an issue with using Time Tracks and the Take System. If I’m not on the Main take, I cannot see my time curve. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Posted: 24 September 2017 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Matt,

Obviously I don’t get notifications at the moment. Sorry about the delay.

So far I know, about the Take System:

• Motion Sytem is integrated. But also here, some limitations apply, the clips and tracks are not set up via Take System.

• Special Tracks not, nor the reference of such inside of Objects. Not that grayed out areas can be overwritten sometimes (right mouse click) but not all.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 September 2017 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

That wasn’t a delay Dr. Sassi haha. Your reply was still quick in my opinion!

Darn, I wonder if there’s a way to speed up the tracks via XPresso. I shall do some research!

Posted: 24 September 2017 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, Matt!

You mean: speed up per Take?

An alternative would be, to copy what you need to have different in a take and use the Layer System to switch among them. In that way, anything could happen in another take.

Scene file:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/hN9tGMKZCJ9RDzkCaYkSk8AExOvi9q4oWUfTQ6YhFwM

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 September 2017 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

Nah, I’m still trying to speed up several tracks at once. Basically all the parts of my gun should gradually begin moving faster. I showed my animation to a few more people and some said they’d like to see it speed up toward the end. Similar to a real-time automatic rifle. I found some plugins that offer time-remapping via tags. I may resort to this. The motion works good for single tracks, but when you’ve got several tracks and they’re scattered throughout the object manager in different hierarchies, it gets to be quite difficult.

Edit: Just saw your updated response. I will try your scene file in the morning smile

Thanks again!!

Posted: 24 September 2017 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Yes, sometimes I update a post, as I think, if no reply has been made, I can. wink

How about exporting the frames that would create a loop as an Alembic file. (For people not familiar with your file, it is kind of a complex animation and it has some steps before the loop starts. To take that kind of complexity out, perhaps it is time for that scene to reduce the complexity, so the loop works and the camera can move to showcase that loop nicely)

This would be linked animation first. So merge it in a new project file.

Place anything under a Null (not the group CMD!).

Now select that parent Null object and request a Animation clip.

The motion clip will have no influence.

Now, select all the objects under the Null and press the c key, that will kill the link to the “.abc” file. Now the Animation clip works.

Squeeze the animation clip to a very short time and while the clip is selected, Attribute Manager> Loops (Relative is off.)

It will not work for your magazine progress, it will loop. But perhaps, that is not important, as mentioned before above. Now you can set up the sequence length and loop amount as you need it.

To showcase that, I created a little clip:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/5RZChyypEvpMQzhZB7Z8suV8iyGWPfRpgOo4U9V1WEb

I have no idea where your animation is at the moment. I do not know if all parts work from the first to the last frame of a single loop, left bullet, right bullet, and back to start. So perhaps anything not working must be backed before to have the information available that is needed at that start frame.

Enjoy

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 September 2017 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

Dr. Sassi,

Seriously, the time you have taken to help with this has been so valuable. I can’t thank you enough. Thank you so much sir!

Matt

Posted: 24 September 2017 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Matt.

The time spend here is always worth it, as I know that any question one has, might help someone else or even more people later on. Even if it is sometimes only a brainstorming quality to get something else solved, or just to showcase what can be done, and in how many ways wink

If there is anything else, please let me know.

Anything via XPresso, check out the options to use User Data, e.g., a Spline Interface to drive the Range Mapper.

Enjoy your Weekend!

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 03 April 2018 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

At the 51st International Independent WorldFest Film-Festival in Houston, Matt will receive a Silver Remi Award for his work!

We are honored to have supported this engineering focused, yet very aesthetically produced, animation here.
(I have had asked to be not credited)

https://youtu.be/_eQLFVpOYm4

Nearly 18M views!

Congratulations!

Signature 

NEW:

2 of 2