A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Bone order in weights manager (Flat or Heirarchy mode) appears incorrect for a Character Object
Posted: 22 September 2017 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2017-08-25

Hello!

I’m new to character rigging, so I apologize if I’m just confused here. I noticed this because copying/replacing bones weights from a L_Arm to a R_Arm was giving me strange results. Eventually, I realized that the order the bones were listed in the weights manager was different for each arm. This was true in both “Flat” and “Heirarcy” view. When the object manager’s display is set to “Full Hierarchy”, the order looks fine.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Cheers,
- Greg

Posted: 22 September 2017 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2017-08-25

BTW, things were in the proper order in the weights manager when the display was in “Name” mode, so I was able to select multiple bones and replace on the other arm. I was just curious as to why I was seeing a discrepancy in Flat and Hierarchy mode.

Posted: 22 September 2017 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Greg,

I can’t reproduce the problem [assuming you are on R19]. Have you tried to create a new rig, and get the same results each time?
Normally the scene file would be required, as from an screenshot I can’t tell what happens. So I tired many times, setting up a new rig and deleting one side of weights to see how the results arrive After “Mirror - to+ ” or “Mirror + to -”
The Hierarchy how it was during Binding will be stored inside of the Weight. Any change later on in the Object Manger, will be not reflected. So, it seems that hierarchy problem started before the Binding, and hence any operation after that will perhaps not work well, even if the Object Manager content will receive a fix of the Hierarchy.

Given that the hierarchy was not the same, the problems are a logical result.

In anyway, I had the same results, no re-organization of the hierarchy based on switching the “Joint Filter” options. In your screenshot the hierarchy itself has changed, so I’m not even sure if the weight is copied wrongly, as the change of hierarchy as shown might not be the problem. Hence the question, have you tired to do it again. So without more information, there is nothing that I can do here.

With that being said, please contact the support:
https://www.maxon.net/en-us/support/how-can-we-help/

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Effect on image c4d ››