A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Mixamo to Cinema 4D Character Workflow: Series Introduction
Posted: 26 July 2017 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-09-14

Hi,
thank you for this very interesting tutorial series.
But I have problems right from the beginning.

When I want to upload the CV_character_tpose.fbx file to mixamo, it says (after uploading) it can`t proceed with this file format. *c4d surely doesn’t work. Or do I have to export another file-format from Cinema4D?

So which file should i upload to go on?

Thank you in advance

Maximilian

Posted: 26 July 2017 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Maximilian,

Please have a look here:
https://www.mixamo.com/auto-rigger

It lists all the formats that Maximo has as its input or output options.
I place the link there as it might change over time. If someone reads this post later on, please check, as they already announced major changes for Aug 22, thanks.
Inside of the expected zip file should be nothing but the file that is suggested in this link. FBX would be one of the file formats.

If your character in Cinema 4D is ready to be exported, and no other parts are in the scene file: Go to File> Export> FBX. If you leave all the defaults as they are, it should work. Then zip the FBX file and follow the upload instruction of the Maximo Store> Upload.

I went one time through the whole procedure, as I like to know things first hand. Here is a one minute screen capture of it: (You can download it for a better viewing experience.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/QW0kFhSI6cEKWnNFvKDhUE4AimMhzFNmW6uDv1XW32T?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Please let me know if you have any other question, I’m happy to look into it.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 28 July 2017 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-09-14

Hi Dr. Sassi,

thank you very much for your help.

Finally it did work grin
At first I tried it with the file, which came with the turorial, but it didn’t work for me zipped or unzipped.
Then I tried it with the same file after importing and exporting it from Cinema; didn’t work zipped or unzipped.
With your help (in the short film) I finally checked every option for the fbx export from Cinema (which weren’t checked by default).
This worked.
Maybe it is the txt-option, I will try the different options.

Thank you again
You saved my day grin

Maximilian

Posted: 28 July 2017 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Maximilian!

Nice that you got your work uploaded. I guess one should get all the “moves” needed now, as they are free (AFAIK) for the moment. It seems that the new system (announced to be online around Aug 22) will change that.

I did not used the txt version and so far I have uploaded three models by now. One I had to delete, as I tested what happens when it has the same name: My findings, name the models wisely.

A while back, I made another one minute clip, to answer this question about Mixamo: (post #3)
https://www.cineversity.com/forums/viewthread/1927/

My best wishes for your project

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 September 2017 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-05-16

Hi and thanks for this great tutorial.

I seem to be having a problem with linking a Pivot object into the Pivot section of a motion clip. I followed the instructions for creating the Pivot but when I select my motion clip in the timeline (while in motion mode) and select the Advance tab then try to drag my newly created pivot into the Pivot slot it will not allow me to. It shows a circle with a cross through it. I am however able to create a pivot by pressing the Create Pivot button but this places the pivot in the center of my character and the motion clips are difficult to line up because they are not sitting at 0,0,0. 

Can you help please? I am using R18.

Thank you.

Posted: 11 September 2017 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-05-16

I figured this out after doing some playing. For anyone else who has this problem, here is the solution:

I noticed that many other items within my C4D file were also greyed out. Then when I looked up I noticed that my project file had “mixamo.com” after it’s name. I figured that since I opened the .fbx file I downloaded from mixamo through C4D/File/Open, it opened some sort of locked file format. I opened a NEW scene and Merged my .fbx character animation file in and everything now works as normal.

So in short, be careful when opening the .fbx you downloaded from mixamo file as it will be a limited use project file.

Sorry and thanks again for the tut!

Posted: 11 September 2017 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi tonyfortyork,

Thanks for solving your own question.

I tried to recreate this, even you wrote that it is solved. Not really getting any grayed out areas. Anyway: a dot-com extension should be avoided as anything imported or opened as 3D [scene] file, I think that is a safe suggestion.

Enjoy the Maximo combinations with C4D.

All the best

Signature 

NEW: