A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Rokoko SmartSuit mocap fix
Posted: 10 August 2017 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2017-04-03

Hello.

I have a mocap issue that I hope can be fixed.

In the attached 5fps QT, please note the selected right foot. It slides.

The left foot is mostly OK, and can be lived with.

My question: is there a way to connect the right toe and the ground plane, so that the right foot has real traction, and have the entire rig be affected accordingly? (so that it moves properly as the character runs)

Note: this was mocap from the Rokoko SmartSuit. I’ve been told they know about this bug, and are working to fix it.

Thanks.

Tom

File Attachments
right foot reference.mov  (File Size: 1054KB - Downloads: 102)

Posted: 10 August 2017 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi tomvr,

I assume this was supposed to be a running sequence/cycle. It feels out very much out of balance, like a rolling shutter for motion suits., with the effect that the character could fall backwards any second, hence my question.

My impression is that fixing the one foot will not help, nor would this be the right action to do. The Pelvis should be one of the most central parts, so both feet will slide in the same way. Then the whole rig is moved forward and the sliding is equalized with the forward movement. To fix anything else seems wrong to me.

I would think that there are two main delivery formats, one is walking on the spot and one is just walking. To showcase this, I have placed both here:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/CUqw4KIYYsoTsltvqgVHspq8bxXKIX3sPqdcKfPDLGm
The left one would be then, if used in an Animation Clip, looped and set to “relative” so an loop means just a continues walk. The one on the right would be in need of a Pivot object, to move at all.

Perhaps have a look here what a “typical” sliding foot looks like.
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/mixamo_to_cinema_4d_character_workflow_fix_mocap_floor_intersections
Note that moving the Animation clip back will always need an adjustment for the pivot Object.

The Pivot (or any parent object) that would be needed to fix the example above [movie clip] would have to oscillate back and fore for each cycle. Then saved again and adjusted for minor slides.

If you are working with this suit currently, just use any camera (even a position locked iPhone is fine) to get some footage from the real movement, so you can place that behind the rig and adjust with certainty.
In case you just got this from an unrelated 3rd party, perhaps switch the source to Maximo or something that works.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 11 August 2017 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2017-04-03

I’m an early adopter for the Rokoko suit, based on raw mocap data I was sent. (the suit was released in May)

We’ll see if they can fix this critical bug in the software. If they can’t, the suit is pointless if the actor can’t walk or run.

Thank you for the help regardless, Dr. Sassi.

Posted: 11 August 2017 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, tomvr,

I’m sure they will figure this out. The tech used in the suit is pretty similar, from my point of view, to pretty much any video-drone on the market. These units need to be calibrated to keep the drones stable in the air. The short clip that I have seen from you shows that the dependencies inside the rig are solved, but that the central inertia unit’s data is not applied as a central starting point, hence the one foot seems to glue on the floor and the or slides. Well, that is how it appears to me.

They are on a good way, and a few month ago I had even a little chit-chat with them. Again, similar to drones, there, the market was plagued over a long period with an unwanted “dutch angle” in the images. I’m not certain that was already the reason to install two or even three inertia units in newer models. But since that phenomenon is gone. Perhaps a way to go for the suit as well.

Time will tell, but it really looks like a great way to work.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]