A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

CV-VRcam with GearVR oculus app
Posted: 11 July 2017 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2015-09-02

Hi, i"ve been through the oculus boards and can’t find a solution to this problem and thought maybe you guys could help.

I’ve rendered a sequence out with CV-VRcam and it works fine after uploading to Vimeo. I can view it fine on a cardboard equivalent headset with the vimeo app. However, I need more control over when to start the video playback because it’s for a pitch presentation, so I’ve been trying to use GearVR and the Oculus app.

I have the video file on my phone in the proper directory for the Oculus app to see it and the Oculus app recognizes it as “3D.” However, when watching in the Oculus theater and going through all the viewing options I can either only view in stereo, so I see the full rendered image with stereo but NO 360, OR I can view in 360 but without stereo (still seeing top/bottom). I’ve also tried using all the naming conventions suggested (eg adding “_TB” at the end of the file name and it hasn’t made a difference).

I’m using a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Has anyone run into this problem or have any tips?

Posted: 11 July 2017 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

I haven’t used the Oculus app recently, but it looks like my earlier tests had a “_spherical_TB.mp4” suffix on the filename.

I think the Oculus app is also more picky about frame sizes and whatnot - what’s your output size?

Posted: 11 July 2017 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2015-09-02

I will try adding “_spherical” on there, see if that does the trick.

My output size is: 3840 × 2160

Posted: 11 July 2017 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2015-09-02

SUCCESS! adding “_spherical” to the file name worked. Thanks so much, Rick. I was losing my mind trying to get this thing to work.