A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Cloth Belt Tag cape pulling away during animation
Posted: 30 April 2017 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2016-02-22

Hi there

Im sure there is a simple solution but iv not found it.

I want to add a cape to rigged character, so I make cape to be cloth, and body to have cloth collider.  I added a cloth belt to cape, and picked the character body to belt on.  I select verts from both the cape edge and the character edge and set the verts.  When I move the character the belt is not keeping up with the characters movement so is pulling away from it.  I tried putting a priority tag on it but it makes no difference.

Demo file added.

Thanks, Dan

File Attachments
cap 01.zip  (File Size: 95KB - Downloads: 81)

Posted: 30 April 2017 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi retro30,

Thanks for the file.

The core of the problem is certainly how the Editor View works. Go with your animation by moving the time slider to any new position. Now, press the A key, and again. You will notice that the Dynamics that you have set up in the IK will continue to deliver new positions.

The editor view updates the scene more often, the renderer (Picture Viewer) will not.

On top of that, your scene has the cape above the cube, it should be below the cube to have all the information needed when it is calculated (Priorities).

To see your scene correctly even while moving the time slider, the cube needs a Point Cache (Object Manager> Tag>Character Tags). Initiated and calculated. The Skin object needs to be disabled after doing so. Then the cape needs a Point Cache, this one needs to be initiated and calculated as well. The Cloth must be disabled now. Skin and Cloth would add more information than the cache already provides at that point.

The faster way to see if it works would be with the Render>Make Preview (All Frames).

The chain of information flow from Root animation, to IK to Dynamics. From there to Skin and the Cube. The Cube is then used as Belt. This information is used to bind the cape. The Cape uses this information to react while using the cube as collider. It is easily to image that any jump or repetition (viewer refresh) of a single step in this process chain will cause trouble. On the other hand the editor view is refreshed often and ther is the core of the problem. Cache takes this problem out.

Cached file:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/JFuTAsLPGfG4qJQUtmsaKhJxnCJQq8WU8b6fBnao7xe?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 30 April 2017 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2016-02-22

Thank you, thats perfect, and gets me good results much faster than caching the cloth from the cloth tag.

Dan

Posted: 30 April 2017 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, very nice of you.

Have a nice evening.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]