A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Can a Destructor Remove Dynamic Particles from an Emitter?
Posted: 10 April 2017 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-02-21

I have attached a scene file showing my issue. The upper Emitter/Destructor combo works how you would expect. But once you make the particles dynamic, as in the lower combo, they seem to ignore the Destructor. Is there any way to make this work?

I have tried various workarounds, but I really need this method to work - emitter, dynamic particles, and something to remove the particles that reach a particular area. The Lifetime parameter within the Emitter isn’t an option because some of my emitted particles won’t make it to that particular area while others will.

Thanks for any help!

File Attachments
Destructor_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 47KB - Downloads: 98)

Posted: 10 April 2017 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi intaglio,

Thanks for the file. The Particles and the Destructor works (i.e.,being calculated) – before – the Dynamics starts to work. If you place the “Destructor” (in this case) to Position.Y = 0.00 where the particles would be without Dynamics, it will work.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 April 2017 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-02-21

Thanks for the reply Dr. Sassi.

I see. Unfortunately, while that works in the example I provided, it won’t work for how I actually need it. Essentially, I have dynamic balls rolling down a chute and into a funnel. The funnel feeds into a box. The balls need to “disappear” once they enter the box.

At a certain point, I need to show how the balls get backed up in the funnel, and some of the balls overflow and fall off the sides and into a giant bowl on the ground. Those balls never “disappear”.

So, as you can see, I need the balls that make it through this funnel to disappear and the rest to remain visible.

Do you have any ideas how I can accomplish this? I was hoping the Destructor would work since it is confined to a specific area.

Posted: 10 April 2017 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Here is an example file, intaglio.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Dc7ZODFLkp852uvPWGNliPluY97kZuZmB7w3ErRSNZC?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

This simplified version shows how they disappear and then get pilled up. Perhaps test the scene with emission end and lifetime both set to 600frames.

You could also just place a “Collision” object at one point into the funnel.

A different way would be to use two emitter, one that fills the funnel at one point and one that serves as the source for the funnel to box stream, which has the life time and end of emission set to the point you need.

The Simple Particles have some limitations (or a lot, depends on who you ask), which leads normally to use Thinking Particles.

If I had your original scene with a “storyboard like instruction” when what should happen, I could check out if that works.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Y-offset rotation ››