A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Tips on gun interior cutaway/reveal
Posted: 10 April 2017 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2017-02-07

Hey guys I am doing a gun animation showing how it works. Certain sections need to reveal the interior of the gun. I was thinking of rendering 3 different versions of the animation. One of render of the exterior, one of the interior parts, and a final version of sketch and toon lines. Then I could take it into After Effects and animate masks to reveal certain portions. I have attached some renders to show how I am trying to do it. The only issue is that it will be tedious to animate the masks movement in AE as the camera moves around. Anyone know of an easier way to do it? I rendered a sketch and toon lines to help illustrate that it’s a cutaway.

Some other options I had thought about is just setting an opacity on certain objects in order to see through them. However, the rendering time goes way up with this method. Another thing I could do is use boolean cuts to reveal the interior, but that doesn’t always work as expected.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get a nice rendered look with this approach?

Thanks!

Posted: 10 April 2017 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

Here’s the final composite I had in mind. It wouldn’t let me attach more than 3 items.

Posted: 10 April 2017 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

HI mattrittman,

Perhaps create an object, in the C4D scene, that creates that mask. Switch anything else off (… use the Layer Browser and/or the Take System to make that easier to repeat).

While the mask object is black, the background is white. Use the Compositing Tag and the Matte Object option for that, to have a good “travel mask” for your project.

There are more options inside of C4D, but your question was about post production. Let me know if you like to check out something else.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 April 2017 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2017-02-07

Thanks Dr. Sassi, I will try messing around with that idea.

Posted: 10 April 2017 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Great, mattrittman,

Let me know if you need a scene file.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]