A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

trouble with alpha, displacement, and object cloners
Posted: 19 March 2017 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2016-08-02

Dr. Sassi,

I found a great tutorial teaching about using alpha to show displacement in certain areas. Learned a lot from it. I decided I wanted to give it a go and what I want is to have clones of an object i model to show only in the alpha areas. So in my scene file I made a sphere and I have a head bust. Both have the same materials. the base to show whatever color. the second is the blue color with alpha out areas. I then made a cloner with object mode and dropped in the objects. Used a shader material and copied the alpha channel from the material. If you look at the scene file you will see the clones are not following correctly at all. I cannot figure this one out! anyone have any ideas?

File Attachments
head bust - V1.zip  (File Size: 264KB - Downloads: 70)

Posted: 19 March 2017 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Kotten_3,

If you just copy that shader from the material to the Shading field of the Shader Effector, then you get the shading information, but nothing else. I know that you know it, but writing for a forum … let me say this: you need to know the difference between a Material and a Texture Tag.

In the moment you tell the Shader Effector that you like to work with the Alph channel, it allows you to drag a Texture Tag into it. With this the Effector has more data to work with.

The Effect of the set up will only show up while rendering, as the noise doesn’t give you a real preview, just a 2D sketch.

I used Surface as Clone setting, as the one in the settings will switch the amount during Editor vs Picture Viewer rendering (Noise Shader).

All the best

Scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/4NiunkzbY3lyNgnSyNhxDSSUGsQ02rFNjAJPUTHgmNx?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

P.S.: of course, if set to World…same parameters, it works without texture tag

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 20 March 2017 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2016-08-02

I didn’t know anything about the texture tag. But very useful! I just assumed using the alpha in the shader would have done the trick. Thanks for the helpful tip! smile here is an idea of what I was testing. So many possibilities using the displacement with different layers of alpha built up!

File Attachments
st. patty fun V1.jpg  (File Size: 1076KB - Downloads: 93)

Posted: 20 March 2017 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the image, Kotten_3!

When you click on the Texture Tag, you will see that projection (UVW, Spherical, etc) information, but also the field for materials. This field means, one can swap out a material without losing the other Texture Tag information.
Please note that the animation of a swapped out material “blends” between the Material. To just change it, you may use two keyframes one frame apart, the interpolation “step” will not really work here.

Also, to swap out Materials, one can just drag a material on top of the Texture Tag and done.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      transfer point order? ››