A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Cloth like silk
Posted: 06 February 2017 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-01-05

Hello

I’m trying to create a very “airy” cloth effect, a bit like silk or gauze. 
The way I thought I would do it would be to follow the instructions in a Cineversity tutorial about “preparing” the geometry for cloth deformation (triangulate>subdivide>make editable), and then added some turbulence and some iterations, but I’m still getting a lot of artifacts.
What would be a good way to get a nice flowy movement?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bbd8q1wtxlinhp/ClothSilk.c4d?dl=0
Thanks!

Posted: 06 February 2017 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

I normally do not try too much to show off with my artistic background, but since I know you, I guess it is OK this time. I know you have your targets, but to explain the set up, allow me some words.

For me silk is not just about parameters or which setting one uses. For some it might work to adapt the usual presets into the scene and call it a day.

Silk and motion, especially with wind shows how heavy but also how flexible it is. The wind is often not that turbulence (at first) how it shows with silk.
But it is that find game, similar to a Tango, that creates this great spectacular game of forces. Once the wind impact the silk, it moves with it only to lower its impact in that same moment (initial force <-> counter force).
With this localized change of pressure the whole system changes, and with exactly this change, all changes again. This is the adaptability with an huge Ego or just, you know, Tango. Why it is used so often, from my point of view.

Based on that, and knowing that I can’t expect that this nearly orchestral like play will happen in a simple 3D simulation, I just use this short coming and use the option to create what I need. Painting with wind. A play of forces. Simple easy and wonderful.

So, practically speaking, have a look to the scene. I limited the Wind with Falloffs to get the brushes I was used to, and being lazy (hehe) used Vibrate Tags, just to get the base, or a kind of underpainting done.

But some I animated , and one specifically, so I’m (relatively) on top of the game.

Yes, I didn’t used your file, not to speak agains Kai’s idea of subdivision, not at all, do it! I like to experiment with smaller things that stay (more or less) interactive. This is a sketch, like a finger warm up for the bigger portrait.
…and yes, credit for the material goes to the huge team of the Browser Content. I haven’t changed a bit. Material: Dimitris Katsafouros (used here only for educational purposes.)

All the best

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/rDgtjmTsheTMzIEBeeRdTvtA5jH0odZgtQYUcxjdMLS?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 February 2017 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Ha, that’s amazing!  I never would have thought of using so many wind objects. The result is striking!

I was playing around with the drag to try to slow it down, but of course that changes some of the more “dramatic” effects of the cloth movement.  Is there a way that I could slow it down but keep all this beautiful movement?  Seems like the cloth tag does not have the same “power” with the offset as the Mograph Cache tag.

Thanks Sassi!

Posted: 06 February 2017 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks a lot, Alex, I was certain that you like a good artistic set up to be able to massage it to your will.

Well, why not using the Object Manager> Tags> Character> Point Cache> Tab: Tag> [scale]

Scaling down all parameter is a complex, perhaps hopeless work, just to slow it down, while one has this Tag. A PLA animation might work faster than that.

Cappucino works, just tested it. With all Keys selected and F-Curve-Menu>Edit> “Enable Frame Snapping” of Keys off, then expand the time…

Enjoy

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 February 2017 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-01-05

Ha, that makes sense, thanks Sassi

One last question…Does it make a difference to use the Belt tag vs Cloth tag and Dresser>Fix points?

Thanks!

Posted: 07 February 2017 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Alex, the Belt is the way to go. Of course if your object stays in the exact same position, that might be a short cut.

These points, once set, are global fixed points. They can’t be moved. I see them as the needles in a tailor studio, one doesn’t wear those later on.

The Belt, as the name say, we do wear belts. We can wear as many as we like, everywhere, and they can be loose or relatively firm. They can even be see like a dog collar.

Zero options (except for setting them, showing or Deleting those) for the Set Point, but so much (and many) for the Belt. Yet alone the Influence and Hover parameter, even with the option to have a Weight Map in each.
The best of all, you can move and animate those. Deform or Scale those. Plenty.

I hope that give a good idea.

All the best

Example Sketch
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/7elLBlLoKlzsorvgp9ixssQrp9lCuyHNUyO5I8KR9z7?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Signature 

NEW: