A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

CV-VRCam in Production?
Posted: 23 February 2016 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

It’s exciting to see how much interest you all have in rendering VR video from Cinema 4D using CV-VRCam. I’m hearing all the feedback and making good progress on the next update, in which I plan to support camera orientation, per-eye rendering, pole merging and strip maps.

If you’ve used CV-VRCam in production, I’d love to hear about the project. I’d love to check out your VR creations, and make sure other C4D users know about them as well. MAXON is always interested in promoting great work done with C4D, and is especially interested in covering more VR projects.

Keep the feedback coming!

Posted: 26 February 2016 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2015-09-22

OK! So here comes my CV-VRCam in production experience:

On December 16th, I was asked by a friend of Bosepark Productions, if I would like to bring “Tristan” - Berlin’s new T-Rex skeleton - back to live in a 360° animation for them - of cause I did! Exactly the same day, I got my first Cineversity newsletter, which announced a tutorial called “Render Virtual Reality Videos with Cinema 4D”. Of cause I had to give it a try and from the beginning it was obvious, that the CV-VRCam plugin would provide a very nice workflow for this project - and it did.

As expectable for projects with new technology, I also faced some problems during the production, but each one was finally handable and the discussions here in the Cineversity Forum were very helpful. Due to limitations of other plugins used in AfterFX (Mettle Skybox) our project didn’t become a stereoscopic VR feature yet, but rendering a final 3D version is still in discussion.

A nice 360° detail that hasn’t been planned is, that the awakening t-rex is reflecting on a glass showcase holding the original skull, which is the other interesting subject in the skeletons showroom at the Museum of Natural Science in Berlin. So, if viewers are looking at the skull, they will notice, that something’s goin on behind them by the refelctions on the showcase ... wink

On wednesday, the project was finally released at a special event at the Museum of Natural Science: “Tristan erwacht” (“Tristan awakens”). It was a very, very nice evening with 400 thrilled and happy, young and old dinosaur fans who had won tickets at Radio Berlins’s dino quiz. You can see footage of the event on the website of Berlin’s public tv (avaiable until March 2nd, in german language):
http://mediathek.rbb-online.de/tv/Abendschau/Tristan-erwacht-in-3D-Animation-zum-Lebe/rbb-Fernsehen/Video?documentId=33686844&topRessort=tv&bcastId=3822076
http://mediathek.rbb-online.de/tv/rbb-AKTUELL/Start-für-3D-Animation-von-Tristan/rbb-Fernsehen/Video?documentId=33709556&topRessort=tv&bcastId=3907840

... and also behind the scenes clips, featuring interviews with my friend and me at Bosepark Productions:
http://mediathek.rbb-online.de/tv/Abendschau/T-Rex-Tristan-erwacht-zum-Leben/rbb-Fernsehen/Video?documentId=33658184&topRessort=tv&bcastId=3822076
http://www.rbb-online.de/panorama/beitrag/2016/02/tristan-erwacht-3d-film-naturkundemuseum-dinosaurier.html

I am very happy with and proud of the result and want to thank Cineversity and especially Rick for providing this cool PlugIn: THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :D

Marten

Posted: 26 February 2016 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Hi Marten,

That’s an awesome project and story - thanks for sharing! It’s great to hear that Cineversity not only helped you finish the job, but was also so timely in doing so.

I’m testing a technique that I think might work for getting stereo VR out of Skybox. If it works out I hope to have a new tutorial next week that might help out with that part.

Posted: 27 February 2016 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2015-09-22

Thank You!
And that sounds amazing! Good luck - may You find a 3D solution for Skybox!
Until now I thought about sphere mapping the final compositing back into the Cinema 4D scene and virtually 3d convert it using CV-VRCam. But I’m not in a hurry now and will watch, what You can get out of Skybox ...

Posted: 07 April 2016 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-05-14

It would be great if you could provide the plugin to PixelPlow, Rebusfarm or other render farms. Because of the large renders needed, I am suffering to render CV-VRCam scenes that are a little bit more complex. I’ve tried both services but the plugin was not supported. On RebusFarm they blamed technical issues and on PixelPlow they told me that if Cineversity provides them the plugin, they would not have problems to support it.

Posted: 16 May 2016 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2015-10-12
Roger Lima - 07 April 2016 05:49 PM

It would be great if you could provide the plugin to PixelPlow, Rebusfarm or other render farms. Because of the large renders needed, I am suffering to render CV-VRCam scenes that are a little bit more complex. I’ve tried both services but the plugin was not supported. On RebusFarm they blamed technical issues and on PixelPlow they told me that if Cineversity provides them the plugin, they would not have problems to support it.

I second this… would be super cool to use a 3rd party render farm for renders (especially when rendering 36K wide stereo image strips with the Physical renderer… that needs some pretty powerful render capability!). I just tried a test on Rebus Farm but they’ve not implemented support yet.

Posted: 27 May 2016 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2015-09-02

I tried it today and I really like it. The only thing I find really sad is, that it is only working with the standard and physical renderer and not with vrayforC4d. I am now trying to find a workaround or some other way, but so far it was without success. It really is a shame, as it is so easy to use and such a great plug in.

Are you planning to make it work with vrayforC4d as well?

Posted: 09 June 2016 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-12-20

I love the CV-VRCam solution. I am looking for tips and some pointers how to make the next step. Instead of using Youtube to watch the image I would like to perhaps use Unity so one can add some interactivity (simple navigation for example). Anyone here know of a good way to use the stereoscopic equirectangular projection imagery in combination with Unity? I have been trawling the different forums and knowledge banks but in vain.

So, I finally found out some more info….

http://bernieroehl.com/360stereoinunity/

Slowly I will get there..

Mission accomplished…

I found this unity forum post to be very helpful, it only works with Unity 5.4 beta…

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/steamvr-how-to-display-content-in-left-right-eye.396236/

Posted: 04 August 2016 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2014-02-25

I just got started with CV-VR cam last week and WOW! This is really awesome! Very impressed over here smile

However, I did run into a bug with CV-VR cam and the Camera Shader when rendering with the Cubic VR 1536s preset. I’m doing a stage preview render for a live event and am simulating how the camera would project whoever is speaking at the podium onto a projected screen. Rendering with the Youtube VR 2160s preset everything works just fine, but when rendering with the Cubic VR 1536s preset, the camera shader zooms way in on the person’s chin. I fixed it by zooming the camera out quite a bit but still it’s an interesting bug.

- JJ

Posted: 04 August 2016 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Thanks JJ - we’ll have a look at how CV-VRCam works with the camera shader and see if something can be done there. It’s odd that it works ok in the ODS but not the cubic preset.

Posted: 10 December 2016 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2016-10-27
anti - 16 May 2016 07:31 AM
Roger Lima - 07 April 2016 05:49 PM

I second this… would be super cool to use a 3rd party render farm for renders (especially when rendering 36K wide stereo image strips with the Physical renderer… that needs some pretty powerful render capability!). I just tried a test on Rebus Farm but they’ve not implemented support yet.

We have succesfully integrated CV-VRcam Plugin Support on our Render Service.
Check https://www.morecores.com for more information. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Best regards,

Team Morecores

Posted: 01 February 2017 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Joined  2016-11-08

This plugin is awesome.
Would it be possible to add Left-Right option to the stereoscopic output? is there a reason to stick with top-bottom?

Posted: 01 February 2017 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24
bowstring - 01 February 2017 03:27 PM

This plugin is awesome.
Would it be possible to add Left-Right option to the stereoscopic output? is there a reason to stick with top-bottom?

Thanks for the feedback!

Left-Right is certainly possible - is there a player that uses left-right for equirectangular?

In the meantime, I’m sure you’ve realized you can just render top-bottom or the left and right cameras individually and adjust the composite.