A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

C4D R18 Unusable due to Mouse Problem
Posted: 19 October 2016 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-21

Any attempt to use a mouse in the viewport has unpredictable results.  Left-clicking may re-scale the object, or it may rotate the object, or it may move the camera, etc. I’ve contacted MAXON support about this and exchanged several emails about proposed fixes, but none work.

I’ve uninstalled C4D, then scrubbed the C: drive of any reference to “MAXON”.  I also manually scrubbed the registry of any instance of “MAXON”.  After that, I rebooted the computer and did a clean install from the R18 ISO image.  Problem still is there. Yet the mouse works normally on apps such a SketchPad, Blender, and the full version of Realflow 2015.

From searching the net, it appears that this is a sporadic problem.  I’ve tried the fixes offered on those websites without luck.  I’m a retired engineer with an extensive background in embedded system software design and in PC support, but this has me stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Daniel Kuras
Jackson, Michigan USA

Posted: 19 October 2016 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Daniel Jackson,

If the support has given you advice, then I might have nothing to add. Normally we have to re-direct technical question to the support.

Let me try at least this:

You mentioned that you installed from an iso, which I do not have nor do I have any information which version it contains.

Currently the MAXON website suggests that
UPDATE FROM CINEMA 4D R18.XX TO R18.028 (SP1.5)
is the latest. This should be your version.

Since I’m on Mac, my experience might vary anyway.

I guess your computer never had a Wacom tablet installed, or perhaps a while ago?

Is there any option to test the application on a different computer and swap the mouse?

Have you checked if all parts were really deleted? E.g., go to the Preferences and click on the button below (Open Preferences Folder …). Just delete the “Cinema 4D.prf” file from the prefs folder. Restart C4D. (… and yes, I guess—the support told you so already.)

Completely a shot into the blue: while it happens (the mouse problem), press the “1” key, move inside the editor view, and then press the space bar shortly, do it again. Any change? (I told you, a shot into the blue, but since it took only two seconds, certainly worth it. It helps me if things get weird, but no, no idea why, otherwise I would have reported it already.)

I’m not familiar with your mouse nor its needed driver, is it the current version?

Is C4D installed on a HD that is set up to fall into sleep mode when unused? ( C drive made me think about this question)

I guess you have tried most of it already…

Fingers crossed, something will help.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 19 January 2017 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-03-22

Not sure if this will help but thought I’d post it.

I’m using a Wacom Intuos 4 and R18 on Windows 10. C4D would not recognize the right or left click from the mouse. Even after trashing the preferences and updating the drivers.  However if I used the pen, C4D would recognize that with no issue.

Solution I found was in the preferences/input devices. You have to make sure that Hi-Res Tablet is turned off. For some reason if it’s turned on the mouse isn’t recognized while using the tablet but if it’s off then it works as it should.

Hope this helps someone.

Posted: 21 January 2017 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you, InTouch.

I guess after a quarter year, he might have found something, fingers crossed.

In any case, technical problems are always supposed to be solved by the support:
https://www.maxon.net/en-us/support/how-can-we-help/
Cineversity, is more about how to use it.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 20 April 2017 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-06-19

Thanks for the post InTouch - I just switch from Mac OS to Windows 10 and was having some trouble with selecting the menus and right clicking in the viewport in Cinema 4D R18 with my stylus (I’m using a Wacom Pro). Going into “Preferences” > “Input Devices” and unchecking “Hi-Res Tablet” and checking “Graphics Tablet” did the trick. Thanks!

Posted: 20 April 2017 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, wnash.

My best wishes.

Signature 

NEW: