A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Connecting computers for Team Render
Posted: 06 January 2017 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-10-10

Hello, I’m hoping someone can point me to good resources on setting up for team rendering. Thanks for any help you can share!

Specifically, I have two computers (specs below) that I could connect for the purpose of speeding up picture viewer and final renders in C4D.

Questions:
Would the speed improvement be significant enough to justify the effort creating this setup? (I assume so.)
What would be the best method to physically connect the two computers? (I assume Thunderbolt.)
What software, if any, would I need to install on the slave computer?
I have an 18-month educational institution license of R18 Studio. Would this create any issues for team rendering?
Can I install C4D on both of my computers with this type of license?

Late 2012 27” iMac
3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
USB 3 and Thunderbolt ports
10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

New 2016 Macbook Pro 15”
2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz, with 8MB shared L3 cache
Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
Four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports

Posted: 06 January 2017 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Mike,

As mentioned in the Miscellaneous: (Link below)
Server and render clients must have the same software versions (e.g., a Cinema 4D Broadcast render client will not be able to calculate Hair).

In other words, yes, the software must be complete on both, not just a subset of the MAXON folder.

The main steps and limitations are explained here:
https://help.maxon.net/#52632

Rick has provided an excellent recourse for this here:
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/cinema_4d_team_render_part_01_basic_introduction

With that being said, a general answer is not easy, as it depends.

Some projects are render intensive (GI, AO, etc.), others are more data intensive (as in multi-pass and hi resolution or higher bit depth for the images), perhaps none of these or even both.

Some calculations can’t be run on all CPU/cores at the same time, in other words, some processes are one core only processes.

Turbo boost are short time peaks, nothing (from where I look at it) qualifies as render-farm sustained power.

I have set up a similar iMac & Powerbook Pro duo from time to time. I’m not really convinced that it makes sense in all cases.
Where I see an advantage is, to send renderings only to the “other” machine, to get the main cpu as free as possible, to continue working on it.
But the PowerBookPro might slow down heavily when it gets too hot. All based only on personal experience. Rick on the other hand has a much broader insight as has the support team. You find a lot of the data in his series is based on many installed set ups.

Your “Milage” might vary, certainly since each project has different requirements on rendering/data-i/o.

I would set it up, and see how it works for you.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 January 2017 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-10-10

Dr. Sassi, thank you very much for the fast and thorough information and links! I will review everything and go from there. Best wishes, Mike

Posted: 06 January 2017 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Mike,

You’re welcome. Perhaps you projects work nicely in such set up, fingers crossed.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]