A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

ZBrush and cinema 4D
Posted: 09 November 2016 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2013-07-16

I want to learn modeling ZBRUSH next C4D because I think that modeling Hardsueface’s easier to ZBRUSH
what do you think….

Posted: 09 November 2016 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ahmedmostafa,

Please share with us what you like to do. Hard-surface-modeling as I understand it tends to be more towards CAD than organic-modeling. Whereby the borders are certainly not easy to define, as models can require sometimes both qualities.

To ask anyone if an application is easy to learn or not: I can only share my personal experience. What ever one has learned already will help or be in the way to learn something new. This is not meant as application specific idea, it starts earlier, if your thinking is more like an engineer or a sculptor, more in shapes than mathematic. This base knowledge and how one experience the world. This all leads to the idea of how developer create the application. In return, how much the artists/user is in sync with this application philosophy is a big question. Sometimes everything one has learned will support to learn a new application, and sometimes it will be in the way.

Having said all of that, the main idea is to download the application as a demo and explore it carefully. Z-Brush is certainly a unique application and in many studios as home. Will it even give you what you need, or be the absolute right one or not at all, that is a question (and I repeat) what you know already, how you would like to work, and what your target is.

As I started out telling you about “my” idea about it, I want to emphasize that this mixture is not to taken lightly, and it is hard to tell for someone else, especially if none of the three areas is defined—what to do.
I have learned in the past 20+ years many modeler. Some didn’t fit my idea and others were just end of life after a few years. So I continued to learn and again …

Oh well, and there is factor number four, if you have to deliver in a certain format or if you want to work in, e.g., studio based environment. In other words, is your target to be self-emplyed or more interested in working in someone else’s team.

What can you take away from this?

1. make a list what you would like to do. Describe the models you like to have.
2. is your workflow, based on #1, more like for technical work or more heading toward organic themes.
3. what application have you tried and what do you liked about them and what was in the way to be really happy
4. the more you know #1-#3, the more precise your exploration of a demo application will be.

After all, I’m not aware that a professional modeler (based on your previous question) will get away with just one application and nearly no learning time.

To be a professional model means to me, to see in sketches/blue-prints or “clay/paper-models” already the needed steps to get there, to shape it in 3D in a economic way (time/money/stress/and change) . CAD will supply different support to get there, than “organic” based modelers. Bother have their strength, and each has certainly their own depth. With the depth comes a learning curve.

What no application will give you, is a short cut to avoid learning. To be a professional modeler is not so much application dependent as it is based on one’s experience. I do not see short cuts there, based on anything money could do. But I certainly know that the wrong application can slow your learning down, but again, that is an individual question, not something anyone can tell your to 100%.

Check out Z-Brsuh, Rhino 3D, Sketch-Up, Archicad*, Modo, Form-Z, Houdini3D, VectorWorks*, Allplan*, to name applications that provide a very specific concept, besides Cinema 4D* :o) [the * indicates a Nemetschek Group application, and I learned in the early ‘90 AllPlan, then later Archicad for example ]

There are many, many , many more 3D apps and some might fit to your needs or not. See it as a toolbox, that you have to fill. Anyway, I have been able to do all my work in C4D since a decade, in other words, the application you know the best, will support you perhaps the most. [Again, a personal perspective.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8UEqKUaIE
Here I compare [my] practical footage with a Cinema 4D model. It is a few years old by now, but modeling, lighting, texturing, animated and well rendered with absolute native Cinema 4D tools. Nothing extra. I used this model in a movie I did six years ago, which was printed on 35mm cinemascope film and worked on the big canvas in the best way.

As a side note: Please notice that the Tutorial Forum is the place to ask Cineversity specific question. There is a button next to each video tutorial, and so others have an easy access to specific questions. Please stop using this forum “Tutorial Questions” to start a new thread. Thanks.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 09 November 2016 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2013-07-16

Thank you very much .... I’ve absorbed your words and you’re always good when I think back .... I hope to become like you in one day .... You really Dr. professor and a teacher
All thanks to you

Dr. Sassi - 09 November 2016 04:09 PM

Hi Ahmedmostafa,

Please share with us what you like to do. Hard-surface-modeling as I understand it tends to be more towards CAD than organic-modeling. Whereby the borders are certainly not easy to define, as models can require sometimes both qualities.

To ask anyone if an application is easy to learn or not: I can only share my personal experience. What ever one has learned already will help or be in the way to learn something new. This is not meant as application specific idea, it starts earlier, if your thinking is more like an engineer or a sculptor, more in shapes than mathematic. This base knowledge and how one experience the world. This all leads to the idea of how developer create the application. In return, how much the artists/user is in sync with this application philosophy is a big question. Sometimes everything one has learned will support to learn a new application, and sometimes it will be in the way.

Having said all of that, the main idea is to download the application as a demo and explore it carefully. Z-Brush is certainly a unique application and in many studios as home. Will it even give you what you need, or be the absolute right one or not at all, that is a question (and I repeat) what you know already, how you would like to work, and what your target is.

As I started out telling you about “my” idea about it, I want to emphasize that this mixture is not to taken lightly, and it is hard to tell for someone else, especially if none of the three areas is defined—what to do.
I have learned in the past 20+ years many modeler. Some didn’t fit my idea and others were just end of life after a few years. So I continued to learn and again …

Oh well, and there is factor number four, if you have to deliver in a certain format or if you want to work in, e.g., studio based environment. In other words, is your target to be self-emplyed or more interested in working in someone else’s team.

What can you take away from this?

1. make a list what you would like to do. Describe the models you like to have.
2. is your workflow, based on #1, more like for technical work or more heading toward organic themes.
3. what application have you tried and what do you liked about them and what was in the way to be really happy
4. the more you know #1-#3, the more precise your exploration of a demo application will be.

After all, I’m not aware that a professional modeler (based on your previous question) will get away with just one application and nearly no learning time.

To be a professional model means to me, to see in sketches/blue-prints or “clay/paper-models” already the needed steps to get there, to shape it in 3D in a economic way (time/money/stress/and change) . CAD will supply different support to get there, than “organic” based modelers. Bother have their strength, and each has certainly their own depth. With the depth comes a learning curve.

What no application will give you, is a short cut to avoid learning. To be a professional modeler is not so much application dependent as it is based on one’s experience. I do not see short cuts there, based on anything money could do. But I certainly know that the wrong application can slow your learning down, but again, that is an individual question, not something anyone can tell your to 100%.

Check out Z-Brsuh, Rhino 3D, Sketch-Up, Archicad*, Modo, Form-Z, Houdini3D, VectorWorks*, Allplan*, to name applications that provide a very specific concept, besides Cinema 4D* :o) [the * indicates a Nemetschek Group application, and I learned in the early ‘90 AllPlan, then later Archicad for example ]

There are many, many , many more 3D apps and some might fit to your needs or not. See it as a toolbox, that you have to fill. Anyway, I have been able to do all my work in C4D since a decade, in other words, the application you know the best, will support you perhaps the most. [Again, a personal perspective.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8UEqKUaIE
Here I compare [my] practical footage with a Cinema 4D model. It is a few years old by now, but modeling, lighting, texturing, animated and well rendered with absolute native Cinema 4D tools. Nothing extra. I used this model in a movie I did six years ago, which was printed on 35mm cinemascope film and worked on the big canvas in the best way.

As a side note: Please notice that the Tutorial Forum is the place to ask Cineversity specific question. There is a button next to each video tutorial, and so others have an easy access to specific questions. Please stop using this forum “Tutorial Questions” to start a new thread. Thanks.

All the best

Posted: 09 November 2016 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you very much, Ahmedmostafa!

If you focus on modeling only, you might be soon much better than I’m, if not already, and I wish you that of course.

Just keep being curious, open, and when you found a way, play around and find another.

Let me know if there is anything else.

My best wishes.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 09 November 2016 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2013-07-16

Believe me when there is any question you would not hesitate to question Person cherish their knowledge

Dr. Sassi - 09 November 2016 10:45 PM

Thank you very much, Ahmedmostafa!

If you focus on modeling only, you might be soon much better than I’m, if not already, and I wish you that of course.

Just keep being curious, open, and when you found a way, play around and find another.

Let me know if there is anything else.

My best wishes.

Posted: 10 November 2016 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I hope you feel progress with every day, Ahmedmostafa.

My best wishes!

Signature 

NEW: