A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

CV VR Cam for C4DtoA?
Posted: 15 June 2016 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-08-03

Hi folks,

I’ve been using the CV VR Cam which i have to say is great and works a treat. I’m looking at a project that will need to use Arnold for some stereo VR and it would be amazing to be abel to use the CV VR CAM plain for that. Have you thought about porting it / expending it for use in Arnold within C4D?

There are a couple of options from MtoA that you can port over but I’m not sure if its just the port but they don’t seem to be working well. Dome master and vrcam (for Arnold) both of which are doing a good job at a latlong mono camera but neither seem to be working for the pole merging. vrcam has option but they don’t seem to work.

CV VR CAM for Arnold would be awesome!

Thanks,

Rory.

Posted: 15 June 2016 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2014-07-22

Agreeing with Rory;
Love the work done on the CV VR Cam rig, but would prefer to use Arnold for my renders. I wasn’t able to make it work.

Posted: 15 June 2016 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

CV-VRCam can’t really support third-party engines without significant changes to how it works, which would likely bring quality and performance issues.

But there’s already a great opensource option for rendering VR video with Arnold:
https://github.com/AndrewHazelden/vr_camera

Posted: 15 June 2016 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2014-08-03

Thanks Rick,

I’ve been trying out Andrew Hazelden’s vr_camera, the problem seems to be that it doesn’t cover the full 360 degree’s. There’s a slice missing at the top and bottom of the image. I think it was the pole merging but actually that seems to work its the fact that part is missing and there doesn’t seem to be anyway of changing that. I can flick between a spherical camera and that one and see the extra part. Maybe its just int he C4D implementation, i don’t know.

I image it would be a serious amount of work to port CV VR Cam, but it would be a great thing is possible! It is a great thing anyway and enabling us to play in 360 land.

Thanks again,

Rory.

Posted: 15 June 2016 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2014-08-03

For anyone looking into this it seems that changing the pixel aspect ratio to 2 does sort this out. You can change the ratio of the render too but that would mean loosing quality or adding a lot of extra rendering.

Posted: 28 October 2017 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-07-08

Thanks owf - I’m trying this now. Did this work for others?