A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

creating templates
Posted: 04 September 2015 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2014-05-05

I would like to see a tutorial about how exactly to create templates correctly in photoshop so that they work with C4D.  Im unsure about dimensions and alignment etc

Posted: 04 September 2015 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Marmalade,

Would you mind to give a little bit more details about the workflow you would like to have covered?

Do you like to use sketches or drawings created in Photoshop or photos.

For now—a little tip, for front, side, left or right view, etc, use a long lens and shoot the object from a great distance, 500mm is great and there are cheap mirror lenses available for this.
This limits the perspective scale that would happen with shorter lenses. Have something in the image, that has a fixed size, so you have a reference.

Thanks a lot.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 September 2015 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2014-05-05
Dr. Sassi - 04 September 2015 12:58 PM

Hi Marmalade,

Would you mind to give a little bit more details about the workflow you would like to have covered?

Do you like to use sketches or drawings created in Photoshop or photos.

For now—a little tip, for front, side, left or right view, etc, use a long lens and shoot the object from a great distance, 500mm is great and there are cheap mirror lenses available for this.
This limits the perspective scale that would happen with shorter lenses. Have something in the image, that has a fixed size, so you have a reference.

Thanks a lot.

Hi Dr Sassi,
Thanks for the tip.
I would like to learn for all three that you have mentioned.  Specifically I would like to know how to prepare the images in photoshop so that when I open them in C4D they are aligned correctly to the world axis such as in the butterfly head tutorial on this website.  Do all my drawings and or photos of different angles all need to be the same size? Do I need to align them in photoshop etc?

Posted: 07 September 2015 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, Marmalade!

I found that the key-element is a “reference” object, something like a cube that is close to your target object. 

The key-element for me is a “reference” object. An object that would be like a box where your target object would fit into it.

Set up in Cinema 4D this as cube, in the very same dimensions.

In Photoshop, create an square or rectangle that is in that ratio width to heights—for the given view you like to have it. A side view of a box 200 heigh and 400 wide has a ratio of 1:2, that is pretty much all you need. Sorry if I explain too detailed here, but after all, we are in a forum, and the experience differs, so I keep it that way.

This image is then applied in the background, while the cube is in wireframe view (Viewer Window>Display>...) with the Size and Offset sliders you need now to match that cube to the square/rectangle in the image.

That is in a nutshell all. It might take a while, but after a few set ups you will feel more savvy with it.

Of course a complete discussion (tutorial) of this theme will contain more details and tips, but I hope that supports your work already a little bit.

If there is any question, please ask (Q&A forum), I’m happy to answer.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]