A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

I think it would help if you mention which version of C4D a given tutorial needs
Posted: 02 May 2015 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-09-14

I think it would be good to mention up front in the video or in the description which version of C4D is needed: ie, Broadcast, Visualize or Studio.  It is annoying to get into a tutorial only to find out you need Studio or such to follow it.  The tutorial filter only filters which release.

Posted: 02 May 2015 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi bobc4d,

Very good point. I certainly understand that this can cause frustration. As simple as your suggestion sounds, as complex will it be, if this would be implemented. Let me explain:

First example, BodyPaint 3D. Not really far back in time, this was a stand-alone application and not included in Prime for example. Well, Prime wasn’t in existence back then, it was called differently. However, currently BodyPaint 3D is not part of Cinema 4D Lite. Will this change one day? I have no clue. Back then there was a Go! version, should this be included, just in case ;o), sorry, just kidding, or…? However, I’m aware that some people even use today version eight and have no intention to change.

Second example, A while ago everything was split in Modules. Dynamics v1, released over a decade ago, then Sketch ‘n’ Toons, Thinking Particles, etc, etc. This was an upgrade nightmare but the options to mix to get your perfect collection were great. Today you have Lite, Prime, Broadcast, Visualize and Studio. OK, and the Student version.

If you take a look to the comparison chart:
http://www.maxon.net/products/general-information/general-information/product-comparison.html
You will see how complex this list is, and it is changing every year, more or less. In fact, using Cinema 4D nearly for two decades, there was never a time were whatever has resembled the Prime version was more loaded with feature than today.

Many tutorials work even from version/release eight (!), e.g., XPresso introductions or Thinking Particle introductions, but also MoGraph hasn’t changed in its basics so much that even nine year old tutorials fell outdated to me.
In other words, each year, the introduction text what version would work needs to be added—not only updated! I guess for some tutorials—that would cause a long introduction EACH and EVERY time in a series, as each part might be different.
In nearly ten years, if my memory serves me well, this is the first post requesting it. To just go ahead an update each year over two thousand tutorials, (record, edit, compress, upload and check if it is bug free) would require a lot of wo-man-power. I guess the fees might be double or triple, perhaps even more…

My suggestion, in the Tutorial Search, there is a Utilize option, this is the best to manage all the problems described above. It is a powerful filter option and allows every user, to leave the filter for newly added feature out and have the correct search-results instantly. Is it complete or perfect, I guess not, but the admin team cares a lot.

I hope I could introduce you to the problem to keep focus on a running target, and the wish to keep it comfortable.

My best wishes.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 02 May 2015 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2007-09-14

I guess I should have prefaced it with, in the future could the tutorials mention which version is needed?  With all due respect, I did not mean to redo or change the tutorials already in the books, I understand how much a monumental pain that would be, I meant from here on out.

Posted: 02 May 2015 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi bobc4d,

Your suggestion is certainly heard.

Please keep in mind that things will change and have been changed. So, to give the release version, means that this is only good for an average of a half year (+/-), then (again) one an average a new version was out in the past years. No idea if that continues or change either.
If then tools, options and function are integrated in, e.g., Prime, people might avoid using it, as an old message tells them not to.

Again, I get your point.

So, let me try it in a different way, to get all requirements easily satisfied: How about the scene file, of the final stage of the content, as part of the package (if possible).  If in doubt, one can open the file and get an instant feedback if something isn’t working. As a side effect, the content of the tutorial becomes already a little bit more familiar, and to follow might be more enjoyable. On the end, this procedural might work already with most tutorials and the “Help With this Tutorial” buton could lead to a little feedback if something did not work for a certain version.

I’m certain the admin team will put this point up to be discussed. As you can see on the filter options, this was part of the concerns already.

Thanks again for your input.

Have a great Weekend

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 03 May 2015 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2007-09-14

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and detailed explanation.

Peace,
bob

Posted: 03 May 2015 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi bob,

You’re welcome. A simple and clear solution is certainly wanted from everyone.
The devil is in the detail, and sometimes “he” loves to stay.

Have a great Sunday.

Signature 

NEW: