A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

3 of 17
CV-ArtSmart
Posted: 17 December 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

No sweat bakerimage - I didn’t actually realize that was a limitation until I got your file.

Posted: 17 December 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-12-15

Thanks, here’s a new very simple one in Illustrator CS6.

As with the one I wrote about I also first saved this new one as .ai file & then as a pdf with compression turned off—then saved a pdf version. Attached a .zip.
test xq.pdf

I believe compression was turned off for that old one as well.

I’ve tried with Illustrator CS5 also.

In C4D the new one is just lines—with no fills at all—so at least the Black extra elements are gone.

BTW, how do I know what version of Artsmart I downloaded—as there’s no indication—& where is Download for latest version?

File Attachments
Test xq.pdf.zip  (File Size: 243KB - Downloads: 540)

Posted: 17 December 2012 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

I just uploaded 1.05, which should now support AI files saved in Corel Draw.

Also with 1.05, I added a print to the Console with the version number, so you can check your version by choosing Script-Console from the C4D menu.

Saturn2 - please check with 1.05 - your file appears to work ok here.

Posted: 17 December 2012 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Joined  2012-12-15

Yes, I’ve now downloaded & installed version 1.05 of Artsmart—but the Test pdf I already sent you opens in C4D but still has no fills. It’s just the outlines. Is there something I am supposed to engage within C4D to make them appear?

Posted: 17 December 2012 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24
Saturn2 - 17 December 2012 06:24 PM

Yes, I’ve now downloaded & installed version 1.05 of Artsmart—but the Test pdf I already sent you opens in C4D but still has no fills. It’s just the outlines. Is there something I am supposed to engage within C4D to make them appear?

In this case you aren’t getting fills because the paths aren’t closed. This is the standard behavior of the ExtrudeNURBS in C4D - it only calculates a cap if the spline is closed. If you close the paths in Illustrator, they’ll be filled in C4D.

Posted: 17 December 2012 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Joined  2012-12-15

Rick, knew nothing about closing paths in Illustrator before this—but now it’s working. Thanks.

Posted: 17 December 2012 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2007-07-02
Rick Barrett - 13 December 2012 10:49 PM

The floating point radius thing is a bug I’ll work on tracking down. It’s allowing floating points in some cases (I think I even used floating points in one of the videos). It’s just including the Extrude NURBS caps tab, so I’m not sure what’s going on there. But I’ll find it.

Confirmed fixed. Thanks!

Rick Barrett - 13 December 2012 10:49 PM

Units should be 1 Illustrator unit = 1 project unit.

This isn’t working for me. A ~200cm square in Illustrator comes in as ~5000 Cinema units. Perhaps I’m missing a setting in Illustrator somewhere?

BTW - the numerical gobbledygook is a checksum value that lets me match the paths back up when you reload the file.

Perhaps the Illustrator path name could come before the checksum? Or perhaps the checksum could be hidden in an invisible tag/property on the object?
Thanks,

Donovan

Posted: 18 December 2012 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-01-10

Rick, any fix in sight for the Material Manager ‘Remove Unused Materials’ deleting active ArtSmart materials? I use this command very often to keep my scene clean, especially before sending out to Net Render.

Posted: 18 December 2012 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-03-27

Hi Rick, this is awesome, really.
A small suggestion if I may?
Could the materials being made be set to UVW instead
of the default “Spherical”.
This way when collapsing it like “C” and “Connect & Delete”
(or as I do it, run plaMATE in CSTO mode)
only the few texture tags needed will be there instead
of maybe up to several thousands.

Cheers
Lennart

Signature 

R13 | OSX | http://tcastudios.com

Posted: 18 December 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

I just posted 1.06 - this version should fix the Remove Unused Materials bug and also tweaks the material projections so UVW is used on the Extrusion & Rounding, and Flat for the Cap.

Posted: 19 December 2012 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-01-10

Thanks Rick!

Posted: 02 January 2013 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-01-02

great plug in but doesn’t bring in all my layers from illustrator. as far as i can see all the paths are closed. i don’t know illustrator very well but this is confsing the heck out of me..

any ideas?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7984317/PainandFatigueManagementCentrecopy.ai

Posted: 02 January 2013 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24
rubberducker - 02 January 2013 09:45 PM

great plug in but doesn’t bring in all my layers from illustrator. as far as i can see all the paths are closed. i don’t know illustrator very well but this is confsing the heck out of me..

Thanks for attaching the file. Unfortunately ArtSmart doesn’t currently support gradient fills, and everything green (the leaves & top line of text) is a gradient. This is why those layers don’t import. Unfortunately I don’t know a fast way in Illustrator to convert all gradients to solid colors, other than to do it for each color/group separately.

- Rick -

Posted: 03 January 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-01-02

Hi Rick. thanks for this. shame i don’t really know illustrator. love the potential of this plug in though.

off subject - but is there a good tutorial you know of that could show me the basics of converting all the gradients to solid colors one by one?

Nick

Posted: 03 January 2013 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-04

Awesome! Hi Rick, This question may be resolved using C4D 14, I am using 13. I made a test of about 25 rectangles in Ai all in different colors (just a test). When they come in al the colors are there, one-for-one, at least visually they are all correctly there (no textures are yet applied) with extruded depth-all good… until I hit create materials. Then they arbitrarily convert to 4 basic colors. Is there anyway to suck up the color info from the cubes and make textures before their inherent colors disappear?

One other thing. Can you define the two choices I have: CV-ArtSmart Object which I understand how to implement and am experimenting with…  and CV-ArtSmart Import. Is Import the way to import Ai CS6, CS5 etc. files and not to be used in conjunction with the features in ArtSmart Object at all?  Just trying to wrap my head around all this.

Thanks.

3 of 17

CV Toolbox R23 ››