A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to toggle Basic Object Properties?
Posted: 12 May 2019 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2014-03-14

This is an incredibly simple problem for which a fall-over-simple solution is apparent to everyone but me.

I used the Split function to capture a series of arm and leg poses from a figure I animated via Mixamo. However,the basic properties for these extracted meshes are grayed out and can’t be modified. I also noticed that the original figure mesh properties are also grayed out, which makes me think it might have something to do with the skin component.

I googled “basic object properties disabled” and found several forums from the 2008 era that refer to a ByLayer/ByObject attribute in the Object properties as the source of the problem. But as I am blind as a bat, I can’t seem to find that toggle anywhere. And nothing popped up in the Help menu.

Model is here: https://adobe.ly/2WJlrHO

OK, laugh now and get it over with.

Thanks.

Posted: 13 May 2019 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mford610,

Thanks a lot for the file.

Laughing about others is certainly not a quality of this forum, at least that is the safety I like to provide here.

Yes, there is a simple answer to that, and it is not documented either.

Copy and paste is the answer here. My suspicion, somehow the file was written in the wrong way (AKA damaged)

If you like to do that in the same file, CMD-X then CMD-V, otherwise CMD-C, new scene file, then CMD-V

Enjoy.

EDIT: It was the Take System /edit

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 13 May 2019 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-03-14

Ah, I tried that but I still get the same result - all the attributes grayed out.

One detail I left out might be important: To get the starting mesh, I advanced the animation to the desired pose, then used the Current State to Object command to duplicate the figure. The duplicated mesh appears to have all the attributes of the original, including the Weight Tag with all the joints. Deleting the weight tag doesn’t appear to have any effect, so I assume whatever is bending the mesh into the pose is inherent in the mesh now. Or not?

I then selected the desired polygons and used the Split function to create copies of the arms and legs from the duplicated figure mesh.

It appears the Current State to Object is doing precisely as advertised - bringing over the mesh as well as the constraints of the original. Which has me wondering if the original skin object is still tied to the new object in some undercover way, and that is disabling the attributes? (the attributes of the original mesh are grayed out also)

It may not matter as the new mesh copies appear to work normally, and can be shaped using the mesh tools (i.e. Brush Tool, etc.). However I’ve learned enough about Cinema to know that on down the road, when the project is well advanced and nearing completion, this trifling little issue will pop back up and bite me.

Thanks!

Posted: 13 May 2019 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2014-03-14

Oops! I just tried cloning the extracted meshes, and all the attributes in the cloner are also grayed out. So the same problem is carrying through. Definitely a show-stopper!

There’s got to be a little check button somewhere - one click and boom, everything’s fine!

Thanks!

Posted: 14 May 2019 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mfrod610,

Found it. In Takes, switch to the Main Take (including the little square checked) and delete mixamo take.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 14 May 2019 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2014-03-14

YES! I knew it would be that simple - and that you could find it smile

I will spend some time on Takes. I have never had need of it before, so I didn’t understand its power. Thank you!

Posted: 14 May 2019 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, mford610.

Just put Takes into the search and you will get a good start with the material provided.

Let me know if there is anything else.

Cheers.

Signature 

NEW: