A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

clones start moving even if not yet in fall of
Posted: 06 February 2019 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2013-04-10

Hey guys,
I have a scene where I want to cover some text with clones using r20 and the new fields. It should look like the clones/particles are scaling up as they are falling down onto the text covering it up completely.
In general I have the setup but the strange thing, I came across, is that if I move the linear flied upwards it starts effecting the clones a bit earlier than I expect it as they are not yet in the fall of range. It is probably an error on my end but I couldn’t find out why this happens (maybe it is a bug)and did tests in 3 different scenes. I have attached an example file for you guys to take a look at.

Thanks for your help

File Attachments
MoGraph_Problem.zip  (File Size: 141KB - Downloads: 37)

Posted: 06 February 2019 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Maui,

Your scene works as expected. The Linear-Field, when below the letters works to 100%. The Position of the clones is higher and smaller. Then the Linear-Field move up and the effect lower down to zero percent. No position change and no scale change anymore based on the Linear-Field.

You can see that very well based on the color that the Linear-Field produce for the clones. When they get back to their original position on the Object-Source, they lose the color.

A third observation can be made if you just switch the Linear-Field off.

Please let me know if that explains it.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 February 2019 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2013-04-10

Yeah in general the scene works fine but I find it quite strange that some of the clones get “activated”(start moving slightly) even before they enter the falloff of the linear field. At around frame 5 you see that happening on my machine. When you playback the scene it isn’t to good to notice but if you scrubb the timeline you can see it I think.
I’m just interessted in why this might happens and if I did something wrong in my setup grin

Posted: 07 February 2019 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Maui,

Let me try differently: They are already in the falloff when you start! Go from Y+ to Y-. Hence why they are up above the letters already.

Please have a look:
Scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/cMcuqESgvs4W2GzHaBWQIBSuWTx06eosfSWBM0bFpnp
Compare the color (white/blue), then switch the Plain Effector on and off.

When this file is clear, check out this file:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/K2hXRcdCLvJX2Z5vv3LpV2vfWzVZMgjVPRmHLSrutOt

The original position is on the letters, and so is their starting point. When you move the Falloff up: You move them out of it. I have set the Linear-Falloff to 1cm to make that more clear.

The initial point is the point where the linear Field is working on. If this moved with the current field they perhaps would move out of the Field. Being out of the field would mean, that they go back to the letters. But then they would be in the Field again. This would not work at all. Based on that, the points of the “particles” stay where the Field started to work on them.

If a new Field would add to that (perhaps the Clamp option is off), the new Field that is processed after the initial one, will work on where the clones are then, based on the work of the first Field. To illustrate this, switch on the Spherical-Field, to see the effect.

Your scene works just as expected.

Please let me know if that makes sense.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 February 2019 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2013-04-10

Hey. Thanks a lot for the example files. They helped a lot. Now I get it.

I looked at it from the the wrong side so to speak. I have to watch out for when the falloff touches the Text and not the particles in their “starting position” away from the geo.

Posted: 08 February 2019 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Maui, I’m glad those examples worked for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it.

Have a great weekend

Signature 

NEW: