A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Natural Selection in R20?
Posted: 17 January 2019 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2012-04-04

Hi:

I assume the Natural Selection suite of tools won’t work in R20?  Does the .CSC extension mean those are COFFEE scripts, and thus no longer work?

Shawn

Posted: 17 January 2019 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Shawn,

Yes, C.O.F.F.E.E. is not longer an option in R20. The suffix “.CSC” is an indicator for that, you are spot on.

Natural Scripts were published in 2007-05-24. I have no idea if there will be a Python version.

The only tool that is available is this
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/cv-parametric_selection_tag/cv-parametric_selection_tag_download_and_install

I will move this thread to the CV-Toolbox, and perhaps the Symmetry Selection options from Natural Selection can be added to this. No idea, just brainstorming here.

Fingers crossed
Cheers

P.S.:
I give just the link, I haven’t tested it:
https://insydium.ltd/products/bridge/

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 19 January 2019 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2012-04-04

I’m always baffled when developers REMOVE functionality from their software.  Over the past decade or so Adobe has removed a handful of features from After Effects I used to use somewhat regularly.

I’m curious as to what is gained by removing COFFEE functionality.  Does R20 now run faster without that?  Bottom line, removing the ability to run these Natural Selection tools will hurt my productivity.

I suppose I can go submit a feature request to bring back these tools.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Posted: 19 January 2019 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Shawn,

I can’t speak for the developers, but I guess that Python has just taken over and is undoubtedly a “language” that unifies most VFX pipelines these days.

To keep C.O.F.F.E.E. alive would mean, to write for anything new inside the application, even changes, the part for C.O.F.F.E.E. as well. Otherwise, it wouldn’t work at all anymore. Since this is practically to mirror the whole application, it is not just to leave this old code inside, it is a lot of work, viewed from my personal point of view.

Please note that the Maxon Suggestion Form is not the place to get the CV-Tools back. Your entry here is sufficient.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 21 January 2019 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

Hi Shawn,

I’m glad Natural Selection plays such a vital role in your workflow! It’s always great to hear when my plugins make a difference.

As Maxon explained in their blog post a year ago, removing COFFEE support was a necessary step in transitioning to C4D’s new modern core. Honestly Python so far exceeds the capabilities of COFFEE there’s really no point in maintaining COFFEE anymore.

Unfortunately a few of my very early plugins were written in COFFEE, and I haven’t yet made the time to adapt them to Python. I had hoped to improve and extend them rather than simply porting them, but I’ve been occupied with some changes in responsibility. For now I’ll prioritize a simple port of the original COFFEE scripts to get you (and others) going again. I’ll keep you posted.

- Rick

Posted: 12 June 2019 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Total Posts:  292
Joined  2017-09-24

Hi Rick,

Hope all is well. May we ask update on the natural selection? Thank you

Signature 

C4D Body Mechanics Rigs (Gumroad)  //    Website