A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Baking Xpresso for SketchFab?
Posted: 27 December 2018 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2014-03-14

I have a simple planetary gear mechanism that is driven by an Xpresso rig. I want to export it to SketchFab. Typically I export the file in the FBX format, and it usually works. In this rig, almost all the Xpresso relationships transferred satisfactorily, but one set did not (marked in yellow - attached). The source elements are splines, which I thought may have something to do with it, but that doesn’t hold up. For example, the Carrier B Rubedo Wheel doesn’t rotate, but a clone object that is parented to it does. So that makes no sense.

I can send you the model via Dropbox. It’s too big for posting.

BTW: I connected with James in tech support and he said the SketchFab exported for R20 is broken - hopes to have a new one out soon.

Posted: 27 December 2018 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mford610,

I have send you an upload link.

Thanks for the image, but I can’t tell from there what happens next. A scene file is always much better.

Here are the formats that Sketchfab supports, as you certainly know it, but since I write in a forum, I have to share more details.
https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/articles/202508396-3D-File-Formats

I think the most advanced format is Alembic. Perhaps give a try.
https://help.maxon.net/us/#58201

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 29 December 2018 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-03-14

Thank you! I sent you the project file.

The good news - the Alembic format seems to work! Everything is rotating as desired. The only issue appears to be the textures are lost, and the file size is very large. It looks like the Alembic creates something like a file per frame, so in this instance, one animation cycle is about 285 MB, which exceeds my account limits. Looks like I’ll have to upgrade if I want to see the whole thing.

But it works!

Posted: 29 December 2018 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the update, mford610.

A few minutes a go I got you file. I was alerted thatI do not have all plug ins (IGES), so I’m not sure what to make of my exploration that far.

I have not gotten to the point where the “Generator” follows.

In one set up I placed everything under a Null and with that parent selected, I made an Animation clip, when this was done (with your file it takes long), I switched of all the Xpresso and Align to Spline Tags, and that resulted in a fast export. Perhaps worth a try to use this kind of baking first and test your FBX route again.

Yes, Alembic has that as its main feature, which makes it so appealing. The application can chose what to load. With older formats, as in FBX, that was not possible.

At this point I’m not certain if the super long duration is really needed. You have certainly your ideas why you go that long. Would it be nice to have a very short loop duration and keep the file size small? Well, again, that is an artist call. Paying for a larger space at an provider, just to upload things as they are at the moment, might have a review on your side.

I think if you go through your model and merge the elements, that are combined, into a single object, you would take some of the complexity out of the animation, yes, I know that is work, but the less parts are really needed to be baked, the better. With that reduction, perhaps checking the keyframes, if they are all needed, clean baking, etc.

BTW, I know that empty space in the file name are more and more accepted these days, but I always wonder where in a longer distribution chain it will fail. (Burnt fingers here in the past, while working worldwide with printing houses. I use underscore instead. yes, some people hate it, but it never has failed me.)

My best wishes for your project.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 January 2019 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2014-03-14

The long animation is actually a loop. The offset in the different gear ratios means it doesn’t actually return to the start position again for a long time. And even then it’s not an exact match. Perhaps I can just start and stop it for the export.

I will try merging components and simplifying the construction. I suspect some of my keyframes are on Mograph elements and those might get mangled when converted to polygons. Certainly worth a shot!

Mark

Posted: 01 January 2019 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2014-03-14

Please elaborate: “In one set up I placed everything under a Null and with that parent selected, I made an Animation clip, when this was done (with your file it takes long), I switched of all the Xpresso and Align to Spline Tags, and that resulted in a fast export.”

I don’t understand the Animation Clip part.

Also, “I switched off all the Xpresso and Align to Spline Tags, and that resulted in a fast export.” Does this mean the animation clip preserves the keyframes so the animation controls (align to spline, etc.) can be removed without affecting the motions?

Posted: 02 January 2019 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi mford610,

To loop something, needs especially in your case a precise preparation. The cogwheels and their speed creating a combination that leads to a very specific formula, which will determine the length of such loop.

The Animation clip options are given in the Main Menu> Animation> Add Motion Clip.

The creation of a such clip means, that the whole hierarchy, hence the Null Parent, will be stored in a single clip. Those clips can be then handled in the Motion Mode Timeline editor.

It is like “baking” the whole hierarchy in on useable clip. Sometimes that needs some attention. However, as long as the same (no exception) hierarchy is used, the clip can be used and stored on the same or other hierarchies that follow the same structure. Here, I suggested it as way to turn anything into keyframes. If the Animation clip represents the original animation, an export is more likely to have no problems.

The nice part is, that timing and looping of such is much simpler.

I explored that theme, as it is normally targeting character animation, here for Motion Graphic in detail:
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/animation_techniques_for_teams/animation_techniques_for_teams_part_01_course

I suggest to switch off the Xpresso and others elements after creating a Clip, as in some cases (“Priority” settings) those can go in effect on top of the given clip results again, i.e., being applied twice then.

All the best

Signature 

NEW: