A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Walking Through Fields: Flipping Panels: Revealing a Logo Using Fields
Posted: 25 December 2018 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  194
Joined  2017-01-08

Hey again smile
I have a question as im following this tutorial.
At minute 7:00 he adds a delay in the fields. And as motext changes, the panels flip. I dont seem to understand this, cause on number 1 there was the linear field passing through therefore the clones had some movement so delay could work there. When he animates to number 2, there is no change of clones rotation anymore, linear field has already passed from that spot, yet the delay field does it!
So why delay field, makes clones rotate while they dont have any rotation on them anymore?

I hope i describe this proper.
Thanks!

Posted: 25 December 2018 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi thanulee,

Thanks for mentioning the time of the question, very much appreciated!

The Linear filed starts the visibility of the numbers, and when its done, it stays on its position, keeping the numbers visible. If one would move the linear back to its initial position, no number would be visible.
Sorry about the confusion.

The change of the numbers requires only a partial change of the red dots, as you can see, they change only where it is needed.

This change make them rotate, and the Delay Modifier is set to smooth, so it takes a moment to change. The Smooth effect is set to 24%, and to keep it interesting, the Sub-Field is set to Random 67.7% to have some variety in the smooth timing of each red dot that needs to be changed.

Below the tutorial is a “Files” button. The provided zip file contains a collection of files. Use the “05_Subtract_Logo_Finish.c4d” file to explore this set up in detail.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 25 December 2018 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2017-01-08

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer.
What i still dont get is why changing the numbers makes em rotate again? Its a step key animation supposedly.
Shouldnt the linear field pass again over them same time to trigger the rotation? I have the file here indeed i been fiddling with it.

Dont get me wrong this is an excellent side effect, in fact i didnt expect it to work this way! Just curious to see if this works in cloner as well same setup with cloner delay effector this time.
thanks a lot!

Posted: 25 December 2018 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

How about this option:

Delete the Linear Field out of the field-list. It (the numbers) works anyway, right?

More in detail:

What the Falloff does is limiting the Effector to work on all dots to flip them to red (100%), i.e., it works only in the area that is specified with the elements in the Falloff.

If there would be no limitations based on the Falloff, ALL dots would change based on the given Parameters, here: Rotation.P 180º and with that to red.

With the Falloff limited only a the dots in the falloff field will gain 100% of the parameters, and so turn their red side up. Elements outside of this specific Falloff get nothing = 0% of the Parameter settings, they stay white.

In the moment the MoText numbers change, the Falloff area changes. The dots that are the same stay as they are, and the one that are different (old vs new falloff) go back to 0% (white state) or new ones to 100% (red state).

Since the Delay is set to smooth, this change is slower than a step keyframe would produce the change initially. The smooth setting works like a ease-ease curve, it takes the “edges” off the Step “curve”.

Let me know if that helps.

Enjoy

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 25 December 2018 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2017-01-08

Ok i got it smile since some cloners are changing to original rotation in order to form the letter! I understood it when i added a position to the plain effector as well! Thanks a lot sorry for bothering with so many questions today hehe.

Posted: 25 December 2018 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, thanulee, and no need for a sorry.

With your question we might answer for answers. So they hopefully find what they need without waiting. grin

Don’t worry about my time, writing for this forum is never a waste!

Enjoy your explorations!

Signature 

NEW: