A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

1 of 2
CV-C4D to UE4: Overview
Posted: 30 March 2018 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-12-20

Hello. I was very excited to see anything game engine related for C4D. One question though, are these tools only good with Unreal Engine, ie making a game from scratch, or can it be used to add objects to the Unreal Tournament Editor? Since Epic are busy developing the crazy-popular Fortnight, they have pushed UT4 to the back burner. Unfortunately, the version that is indicated in the UT Editor says 4.15 so just curious if there is a way to utilize this tool.

On that topic, what does it do exactly? Just export an FBX and import it into UE4 automatically, or does it do anything inside C4D to optimize things like polys, UV maps, collision objects, etc.

Thanks for any info.

Posted: 30 March 2018 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi BigAl3D,

Your first question can be answered in this way:
Currently works with Unreal Engine 4.16, 4.17 and 4.18.

For any other question I will try to give the author an PM to add the additional details you ask for.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 02 April 2018 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2006-11-30

Here is what the plugin can do:

- Cut and Paste objects from C4D to Unreal.

- The plugin checks for already exported models/materials and updates them. I think that this function really adds some value and it makes iterative workflows a breeze.

- You don’t have to export from C4D to another file format, assets go straight to UE4. The plugin converts everything to polygon objects during the export, this allows the user to keep their generator and parametric objects in their C4D scenes but still be able to get them to UE4. In most UE4 projects, you’ll have quite a lot of assets, and not having to export these in combination with saving to another format first saves a lot of time, disk space and it’ll be easier to organize files.

- Normals come over clean, so the Phong tag gets exported correctly.

- The plugin keeps and translates the transforms properly from C4D to UE4. Figuring this out with FBX and sending over single assets into an existing project, without having to place it in the world again, can be a bit troublesome for new users.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Posted: 09 April 2018 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2018-04-09

Hi Guys, any news on CV-C4D to UE4 support for UE 4.19?

Posted: 18 May 2018 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2007-07-02

As a heads up, we’ve just uploaded an updated version of C4DtoUE4 (v1.1) to the Download and Install Tutorial ( https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/cv-c4d_to_ue4/cv-c4d_to_ue4_download_and_installation ). This adds support for 4.19.X and fixes some particularly nasty bugs. Please give it a download and test (you’ll need to update both the C4D and UE4 plugins), and please let us know if it’s working for you.

We plan to promote this more widely next week but wanted to let you know ASAP.

Posted: 19 May 2018 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2018-04-09
Donovan Keith - 18 May 2018 08:40 PM

As a heads up, we’ve just uploaded an updated version of C4DtoUE4 (v1.1) to the Download and Install Tutorial ( https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/cv-c4d_to_ue4/cv-c4d_to_ue4_download_and_installation ). This adds support for 4.19.X and fixes some particularly nasty bugs. Please give it a download and test (you’ll need to update both the C4D and UE4 plugins), and please let us know if it’s working for you.

We plan to promote this more widely next week but wanted to let you know ASAP.

Awesome Thank you!! wink

Posted: 26 June 2018 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2016-05-26

Thank you for creating this.  Many of my coworkers use a Max/Datasmith workflow. It looks like there will eventually be a datasmith for C4D…  but your tool helps me out today.  The interactivity of it being a live-link tool is great for testing assets.  I hope it is something that you continue to develop with Maxon as it is off to a great start.

Posted: 26 June 2018 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2016-05-26

I found one repeatable crash with it.  It makes sense that it happens but it would be nice to prevent it because it is easy to do.  If you transfer a scene and open that model in Unreal’s “static mesh editor” and run “CV-C4D to Unreal” before you close the mesh editor you will crash unreal.  In that case C4D is hung running the script.  Reopening Unreal will eventually let the script complete and unlock C4D.  You probably wont have a complete transfer at that point and would need to re-run the export.  It would be nice if the script could warn you not to transfer with the “static mesh editor” open or automatically close it on the receiving end to prevent users like me from stupidly crashing unreal.

Posted: 20 July 2018 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2016-05-26

Do do you have a build of this plugin compiled for Unreal 4.20?

Posted: 23 July 2018 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2016-05-26

Not sure if Maxon is reading this…. but..

Is it possible to have it export just the selected objects?  Refreshing everything is a heavy procedure when you are just updating a single object in your scene.  I though it was a feature of this plugin when you held down shift or control while you clicked the icon.  But neither seem to do that, perhaps I am missing something.

I has have some suggestions for options that would help me and hopefully others using this bridge.
—Ability to turn off UE4’s auto UV generation when you have a second UV channel already on your object.
—Ability to turn on other mesh editor check-boxes like “Use KikkTSpace Tangent” (these things would be good as prefrences for the plugin)
—Ability to have a simple default white material created and assigned.  (I found the material that it makes by default shows weird seams and was overly complicated for what I was exporting.  Replacing it with a clean material in UE4 worked, but it is an extra step to do over and over)

Posted: 20 August 2018 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04
darren1981 - 20 August 2018 09:51 AM

Hi there, im attempting to use this plugin with c4d R19. I have a problem whereby the plugin doesnt work if the 3D object has been created outside of C4D and imported into C4D scene. This object then doesn’t transfer when I use the plugin.

I get an error in Unreal saying: “UNREAL ENGINE LIGHTING NEEDS TO BE REBUILT UNBUILT OBJECT DISABLEALLSCREENMESSAGES”

The plugin works for all other objects created in C4D.

Also, the information about the object transfers, as well as the axis, just no actual polygons.

Please help!

Hi darren1981,

You should check the object: Attribute Manager>Edit>Modeling>Mesh Checking:checked on.

Not that I can reproduce the problem here, while imported, it should follow after import the native description. However, there are many ways to make it a new C4D object: Place it under a Connect Object and while the Connect Object (or any Generator that re-creates the object with no noticeable change) is active, use the “Object Manager>Objects>Current State to Object”. Delete the previous set up of the Connect Object.
I hope that helps.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 03 September 2018 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2016-04-28

Just downloaded Unreal just to try this plugin. I then downloaded your plugin (as well as joining a premium membership). Unfortunately, I can’t use it with Unreal 20!
Will you be releasing an updated version to the plugin soon??

Posted: 13 September 2018 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2016-04-28

Uh, I’m hearing only crickets over here. Does anyone have any information at all about an update to the plugin?

Unreal 20 has been out since July…

Posted: 17 September 2018 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2015-09-02
MHdesign - 13 September 2018 11:16 AM

Uh, I’m hearing only crickets over here. Does anyone have any information at all about an update to the plugin?

bump

Posted: 17 September 2018 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Joined  2012-04-17
pxlntwrk - 17 September 2018 06:32 AM

bump

I guess i shouldn’t even start on c4d r20 with ue 4.20…

Is this project still alive? i would love to use it… but with current versions of the softwares.

kind regards,
Leon

Posted: 07 February 2019 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Joined  2015-09-03
pxlntwrk - 17 September 2018 06:32 AM

bump

bump!

1 of 2