A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

CV-VRCam Wide angle
Posted: 12 July 2018 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2015-10-18

Hello All,

I am using the CV-VRCam plugin for an interior render.
How do you go about changing the focal lengths of the rig to get a wide angle distorted VR view?
I tried adjusting the focal length in the individual cameras object tab to a very low number (1mm), but the rendered equirectangular frame looks the same as the default setting(18mm).  Please help.

somann

Posted: 12 July 2018 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi somann (or do you prefer Somann),

The cameras shouldn’t be adjusted. Which means you know where to get this CV-VRCam already.
If you like to use the CV-VRCam, go to the Render Settings>Effects: CV-VRCam. This “effect” is also in the Render Settings, that you will find in the plug in Menu, directly below where you call up the Camera Rig.

To get the Equirectangular result, Click on the VR-Cam entry in the Render settings, there in Mode> Omni-Direction Stereo / Equirectangular. Below this, Render Stereo> None

I mentioned the “If you like…” above.

Try this in R19, call up a camera and while this camera object is active Attribute Manager> Spherical> Enable.
The settings below that checkbox
FOV Helper>  Equirectangular and Mapping to Lat-Long.

Set the render fo mat to an 2:1 format (e.g. 12288x6144) or what your target might be, and it should appear in the Picture viewer after you request a Picture Viewer rendering.

Here is a quick run down for both. Screen capture:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/UB9An7tyauvYj3VXNOn0CbFSKkcbakXiZUuXHgPc7ua

Please let me know if there is any question, I’m happy to look into it.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 12 July 2018 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2015-10-18

Dr Sassi,

Thanks for the really quick response & somann is fine.
CV-VRCam is currently my only option for VR because I am still running R16.
What I am looking to do is an ultra wide angle VR experience(google cardboard via youtube) much like a fly’s POV in an interior space. I am able to produce everything else except for the focal length part.

Posted: 12 July 2018 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi somann,

Since I do quite a lot of 360ºx180º photography, let me share this: the focal length used on the camera, in practical photography, will result only in a different resolution, given the same camera. It is simple impossible to go wider than 360ºx180º. The wider the lens, the less resolution one get in real life, but also the simpler the capture session will be.

In Cinema 4d, the resolution is independent, and so the same lens setting can produce a higher resolution, hence more detail. Lenses are just magnification instruments. Longer lenses are just magnifying more. If you don’t move your camera’s position, every lens (besides, e.g., lens distortion) will have the same perspective even, just a different field of view. In this way, a longer lens needs more shots to be stitched and a wider less.

With the CV-VR cam you have a rig of six square 90º field of view cameras, which create a six sided view, a whole cubic representation of the world. This can be rendered out as such, like a un-folded cube, or calculated in an equirectangular.

If you increase the field of view ( a wider lens) you will get overlapping, and if those six result would be stitched together, the overlapping would be the parts that REDUCES the resolution of the final result. Nothing else would happen.

I hope I was able to bring this point home, nothing is wider than a 360ºx180º view. After that, anything repeats or overlaps. No gain at all.

If you need a wider view in the head set, that is not dependent on any render settings or camera settings inside of Cinema 4D. This is typically set by the HMD (head mounted display, and other presentation mode, might be in the metadata of the content and needs to be set, if no screen adjustment is possible.

Check out the link below, for nearly 200 tutorials about all of that. I shot for 3D since over two decades and as an artist with many exhibitions even longer.

Let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 12 July 2018 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2015-10-18

Dr Sassi

Thank you for the great explanation, I now realize my solution lies in the headsets & not the images.

somann

Posted: 13 July 2018 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, somann, thanks for the nice feedback!

The HMD is certainly an ever evolving market since a while. I would not even try to make any suggestions.
I guess the best resource these days is given in the Gamer-Industry. They have pushed things since a while a lot. IF there is an fair or any event with a show-floor, I would suggest to attend, there is certainly nothing better than first hand experience.

ENJOY.

Signature 

NEW: