A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Table Modeling: Legs
Posted: 10 April 2018 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2018-02-05

Im in 6:33 of this particular video. I noticed my coordinate manager does not seem to behave the same way when a nurbs object is introduced to the heirarchy as with an editable poly. I noticed my interface (4R19 standard intereface) looks a little different in this respect to the older one Donavan is using. I understand its an older version, but would their have been updates to coordinate manager operations with respect to nurbs vs poly objects?

Thanks as always,

Fauntail

Posted: 10 April 2018 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2018-02-05

Okey dokey. Sorry, false alarm. Seems I solved the problem.

I realized that I was:

1) In poly mode instead of model mode.
2) Had my Leg Shaders nested in the Null as opposed to unnested. This seemed to unlock the coordinates of each duplicate, so I could work with those coordinates respectively.
3) Did not have the move tool selected. As of this moment, however, I think having the move selected was least important in this heirarchy of operations. But hey, I’m a nube, so I’m sailing into unknown waters and feeling it out.

Ciao for now….

Fauntail

Posted: 10 April 2018 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Fauntail,

Yes there was a change in the past 7+years: in R12 the relative and absolute differentiation was introduced.

2 modes are available:
Object (Rel): The relative object position without frozen coordinates (same as the main coordinates in the Attribute Manager’s Coord tab)
Object (Abs): The relative object position as a combination of Object (Rel) and the frozen coordinates.

Since the tutorial do not works with something that wasn’t part of R10.5, (frozen coordinates) both will work.

Here is an update to the Coordinate Manager, recorded with R19
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/kOwyskR44ozfxUqdCs8SZD5f1Qhfn9GZsBGzZmzqXwB

Putting my instructor hat on, as I think I see a pattern here: Make always certain that you are in the same mode. Tutorials are not designed to rush through them. There is not a challenge to go as fast as possible through them: The effect would be limited, very limited. There is very specific phenomenon with tutorials, while seeing it on screen to assume that is already knowledge. Watching content quickly, creates only an information transfer, possibly only for that moment, not knowledge, and certainly not skills. Honestly, too much in a short time might only leave one with the impression to own it. Please: Enjoy and take your time.

Each tutorial has steps, each step should be understood and repeated to work as a knowledge transfer, and not just like a show reel. If there is something not working, go a minute back (to the point where things worked out nicely!) and start over from that point. Saving your scene with these steps, like _01, _02, _03, helps to do so.
I have watched in the past two decades around 6,000 tutorials, and the effect between knowledge and information is certainly related to that. So, hat instructors off.

Enjoy the material.

P.S., I saw your second post just while I finished the post.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 April 2018 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2018-02-05

Haha, well thank you for your thoughtful response as always. Your sage wisdom is always welcome and I feel fortunate to receive it. So again, thanks!

To be honest, I have a month off and I’m hoping to get a solid foundation in this program. I would principally like to accomplish a degree of modest proficiency with modelling in Cinema 4D in such a way that yields an effective workflow, modelling wise. So in to help facilitate this, I am watching videos and in the evening applying that knowledge through building various objects around my house. When I get stumped, I return to already watched videos, other videos or read the manual. If you have any additional suggestions about ways to create knowledge I’d gladly welcome them.

Thanks,

Fauntail

Posted: 10 April 2018 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, Fauntail, very nice of you!

My intentions are based on the idea that with the right motivation a lot is possible. Motivation can also go overboard, hence my little input.

I see where your target is, thanks for sharing it, and yes, to apply it is the key to success. Very nice.

As you mentioned it, to check out things that surrounds you and to figure out how they where build (e.g., Lathe) and how it could be build in C4D. Typically, we can exclude some limitations of the reality… However, to have a target and stick with it, like modeling a spoon, gives a clear definition. With that a good evaluation how far one has developed the wanted skills is easier to evaluate.

Modeling has some challenges and I compare it always to chess, thinking a few steps ahead, which is certainly a good directive to set for oneself.

I added some links to the the post
https://www.cineversity.com/forums/viewthread/2779/#10661
perhaps, have a look. I searched for content based on the Structure Manager, as you asked for, so I added those. Perhaps some ideas are given in the series. Patrick’s modeling series are certainly something you might check.

There are other options to model, just to keep your creativity flowing, think of using Deformers, or MoGraph. The “Sculpting” part of Cinema 4D is certainly worth a look, (if you like to have a broader tool-box for modeling).

Having learned my first modeling steps in CAD, way back in time as an Architect, I loved the guides and snapping options to define the later object. Some options are in C4D and worth the time.

Well, that will be a busy month grin Please never hesitate to ask, others might find your questions as well useful.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 10 April 2018 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2018-02-05

You’re awesome. Thanks Dr. Sassi. I’m really going to sit with these concepts and try to let them absorb. Have a great evening!

Posted: 10 April 2018 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Fauntail, thanks for the nice feedback.

Always keep in mind, there are no failures, just gained experience. … and such fills the creative library.

ENJOY!

Signature 

NEW: