A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Modeling a Plastic Soda Bottle: Model a Soda Bottle Part 2 - Modeling the Body
Posted: 06 April 2018 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2018-02-05

In minute 1:18 of this video, the teacher is able to scale points in without having them snap together. For some reason all my points are automatically snapping together when I gently try to scale in. How can I turn this off?

Thanks,

Fauntail

Posted: 06 April 2018 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Fauntail,

Does it works differently when you de-activate the Connect Object in the Object Manager? The green “checked” symbol should be then a red X.

If that helps, please select two points and have a look in the Coordinates (down, and a little bit to the right), this “Size” (one of the three) should be larger than the Tolerance in the Connect Object. Otherwise it will “Weld”.

Since I can’t see your screen, it is always helpful for a discussion to just add the scene file (compressed as zip) to your post.

Let me know if that worked!

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 April 2018 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2018-02-05

Hi Dr. Sassi, for some reason all my points seem to be welding when any scale operation is being performed. So in the coordinates manager, in the size column, it reads as follows

x: 83.529 cm
y: 0
z: 114.968 cm

If I am understanding you correctly you are saying that my Y value is less than the others and is the problem? I tried sending the file earlier? I don’t know if that worked.

Thanks!

Posted: 06 April 2018 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2018-02-05

Okay, its working now. But I don’t understand why? All I seemed to do to fix it is to go to my “perspective” viewport instead of the “front view” one. It seems like all the points were automatically snapping together in “front view” and still are. Perhaps its a configuration issue with that viewport.

Anyhow, thanks for your response earlier!

Fauntail

Posted: 06 April 2018 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I think I need to see you file, Fauntail.

One of the size values should be larger than the Tolerance. The “Size” of these two points are at least 114cm as the three values must be seen (for two points) spatially. So, it would be over 142 cm. Nothing that would be a concern for a default value of the Connect object.

Note, that measurement has to be checked after the scale has been applied of course. Again, I can’t see why they weld, and guessing is a time consuming game, hence the request for a scene file. Perhaps go to selection (main menu) and Set a selection, so I know the points in question.

All the best

Edit: if it works now - fine, but I would love to clear it for you.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 06 April 2018 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2018-02-05

Hi Dr. Sassi, here is that file you requested.

Fauntail

File Attachments
01_fauntail.zip  (File Size: 57KB - Downloads: 86)

Posted: 06 April 2018 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the file, Fauntail.

Here is a screen-capture what welding would look like. Anything else I can find.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/WcOVjoTFF39u9lCZ5kSIiWQ4ISQ9rWI9h1wB4j5Z84R

Please send a file - saved in the moment you hit that problem again.

Kind regards.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 April 2018 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2018-02-05

Wow, thats a great video. Really helped me understand the value of Tolerance in the weld function. But for some reason, my points were snapping on the X+Z axis for some reason in only front, side, top view. The perspective view seemed to work just fine and scaled normally as you did in your wonderful custom video. How cool is that btw? Jee wiz, too cool!

Thanks so much,

Fauntail

Posted: 07 April 2018 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2018-02-05

hopefully these pictures comes through. and it dont mean to keep bringing it up but i can’t keep up with the tutorial because I can’t even scale my points correctly. It seems like perhaps I have activated some kind of feature that is causing this strange behavior to happen. I’ve done a little test as follows to try to fix it on my own (as well as countless google searches but that does not yield the answers I am looking for).

Test 1:

build another cylinder/ bottle again in the same file I sent you. Scale my points in to see if the behavior is the same. It was. Ugh.

Test 2: Open a new file, build another cylinder/ bottle again. Tried scaling my points and all point just snapped on the xz axis again. Ugh.

I think it has something to do with the modeling axis being set to object, but it seems to work for the teacher. don’t know why this does not work for me. I’ll keep struggling with it.

Posted: 07 April 2018 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2018-02-05

Okay, so, as of now I may have found a solution across all views, in case anyone should encounter this again.

I went to preferences> open preference folder> went one folder up/ back and erased the cinema 4D R19 folder to restart my cinema fresh. Everything seems to be scaling instead of snapping or sticking to eachother, which was un workable.

I can now scale normally as you were in your video. Still not sure what I pressed to make things act this way, but I’m just glad its done with so I can go about learning. thanks for your patience and help, Dr. Sassi.

Fauntail

Posted: 07 April 2018 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Fauntail,

Yes, always a great idea to check in a new scene.

As I mentioned, in the moment you hit that spot of trouble, save the scene and share it.

If you make a screen shot, it is helpful to see the whole screen, i.e., interface of Cinema 4D.

The modeling axis set to Object or Model has no influence while you are in Point mode.
The preferences you need to delete, are just the “CINEMA 4D.prf”.

I’m not certain if you had Snapping on (the magnet symbol on the left)

Since it works for you now: Enjoy the rest of the series.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW: