A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Baking roughness/glossiness/reflectance
Posted: 08 March 2018 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2017-11-24

Hi guys,
I just tried to bake out maps for a games engine.
Everything works fine so far…only thing I cannot find is the option to bake out the reflectance/roughness/glossiness of a material…
There is only a checkbox for the reflection (which I dont wanne bake…:))
Do I have to generate the glossiness/roughness map in a 3rd party application?
Id appreciate every hint….
Thanks a lot!
Cheers

Posted: 08 March 2018 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Remo_G,

I hope I got your question correctly. Please have a look at the scene file and the one minute clip:
Perhaps download the clip for a better viewing experience
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/jOVZppg6aJObmDQZxqVc1KNaLVm1IQJa2wa6LlAsRkr

The Mat0 uses the sliders and the Mat1 uses a Color Shader to receive the values of the Mat0. The Color Shader is used here for the demo. It should be a linear (float file) that represents the gray value.

A simple gray channel with no gamma should work fine, as in float, but test any gamma based format if it matches the values in the game engine. This is a data file, not really an image file, so it should work. You can compare easily with this set up any image file how it matches the value.

You can create a texture directly in C4D: Go to texture, to the triangle and chose the values you need – “Create New Texture …”
The slider above the texture should be set to 100%, as the value of the texture is multiplied with this value.

Any combination of specific textures and parameters (sliders), as well as the wide variety of today’s Game Engines (besides the two obviously most named Unity and Unreal) creates many possible answers perhaps. I’m not certain if there is a tutorials or even a plug-in (CV-C4D 2 UE4) for your specific needs here on Cineversity.

Let me know if I got your question correctly and if that solves your workflow question.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]